From: Tom van Stiphout on
On 27 May 2010 16:50:49 GMT, "David W. Fenton"
<XXXusenet(a)dfenton.com.invalid> wrote:

I meant: several users using the same computer in a common area AT THE
SAME TIME, i.e. the computer is logged in by some user, and several
others walk up there from time to time and do some work without
logging in as themselves.

-Tom.
Microsoft Access MVP

From: Tom van Stiphout on
On 27 May 2010 16:50:49 GMT, "David W. Fenton"
<XXXusenet(a)dfenton.com.invalid> wrote:

Also, after reading all your "me too" answers: perhaps we are talking
about the same thing, and it is just a matter of semantics. If not,
post a link and maybe I can update the blog post.

From: Arvin Meyer on
The MDB format is in use in millions of databases. If Microsoft didn't
support it, there would be millions (maybe as many as hundreds of millions)
of files that might not work. At any rate, Access 2010 definitely supports
the MDB format. If you want User Level Security, you have no choice
whatsoever. MDB is the ONLY file format that supports it.

IT had been traditionally ignorant of databases, and especially so of Access
databases. Their knowledge exists solely of hearsay, and the have no
documentation to back up their views.

In the end, you have a choice, if you want ULS, you must use the MDB format.
Of you want less security and require multi-value and attachment fields you
must use the ACCDB format. For me, it's a no-brainer. Under no condition
will I be using multi-value or attachment fields, so I almost always opt for
the MDB format. I use ACCDB only rarely.
--
Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
http://www.datastrat.com

From: David W. Fenton on

> I meant: several users using the same computer in a common area AT
> THE SAME TIME, i.e. the computer is logged in by some user, and
> several others walk up there from time to time and do some work
> without logging in as themselves.

Oh! Yes, of course that would be a problem. Perhaps you can edit
your blog to make that clearer?

--
David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/
From: David W. Fenton on

> Also, after reading all your "me too" answers: perhaps we are
> talking about the same thing, and it is just a matter of
> semantics. If not, post a link and maybe I can update the blog
> post.

I don't deny that access to AD from Access is not useful, but if all
you're using via AD are the NTFS security groups, you could have
done that with API calls that did not need to involve AD.

No?

--
David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/