From: gk on
Here is a code from Mastering Enterprise Java Bean which Idon't
understand . Could you please clarify this doubt ?

Here is the excerpt
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc298/curseofgoldendragon/usertransaction.png
From: Lew on
gk wrote:
> Here is a code from Mastering Enterprise Java Bean which Idon't
> understand . Could you please clarify this doubt ?
>
> Here is the excerpt
> http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc298/curseofgoldendragon/usertransaction.png

Assuming the comments in red are yours, here are my answers:

- Yes, pretty much.
- Yes, those have it.
- No.
- Yes. But they must support a rollback mechanism.

Additional commentary:
- The JNDI name is whatever you configure it to be. It doesn't have to be
"UserTransaction".
- Read up on JNDI. (That's a strong suggestion.)

P.S., it's better to just quote something this short in your post rather than
making a graphic and linking to it. You can just use the clipboard to paste
the code into your post. I don't even begin to understand why you did it that
way. Plus, it'd make it much easier to respond inline if you had used text.

--
Lew
From: gk on
You can just use the clipboard to paste
> the code into your post. I don't even begin to understand why you did it that
> way.  Plus, it'd make it much easier to respond inline if you had used text.
>
> --
> Lew

Thats because I was reading from "Google Books" . There was no text to
copy to clipboard...it was in graphic form.

thanks for your post.

>>> The JNDI name is whatever you configure it to be. It doesn't have to be
"UserTransaction".

my question for this was little different . What I meant is , whether
there is a spec that application servers have to employ a JTA service
MANDATORY so that developer can get a handle of it .
Yea , I understand this does not have to be the text "UserTransaction"
Always.

From: Lew on
gk wrote:
> my question for this was little different . What I meant is , whether
> there is a spec that application servers have to employ a JTA service
> MANDATORY so that developer can get a handle of it .

No, it's not mandatory, but it's pretty near universal, including for
the products you specifically mentioned. That's what I meant by,
"Yes, pretty much" and "Yes, those have it". Tomcat does not, AFAIK.

A few minutes with the docs for the products about which you asked
will clarify matters. Reading the ... manual is always recommended.

--
Lew
From: Arne Vajhøj on
On 10-08-2010 08:30, gk wrote:
> my question for this was little different . What I meant is , whether
> there is a spec that application servers have to employ a JTA service
> MANDATORY so that developer can get a handle of it .

JTA is required by the Java EE spec, so any compliant Java EE
app server will support JTA.

Arne