From: Darek M on
Hi list,

I had a properly running install of Postfix/MySQL/virtual, with the
following in main.cf

virtual_mailbox_domains =
proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_mailbox_domains.cf
virtual_mailbox_base = /home/vmail
virtual_mailbox_maps = proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_mailbox_maps.cf
virtual_minimum_uid = 100
virtual_uid_maps = static:5000
virtual_gid_maps = static:5000
virtual_alias_maps =
proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_alias_maps.cf,
proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_alias_domain_maps.cf

I then switched to the "dovecot" LDA, with this in main.cf replacing the above:

dovecot_destination_recipient_limit = 1
virtual_mailbox_domains =
proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_mailbox_domains.cf
virtual_transport = dovecot

with the 'dovecot' transport defined in master.cf. Turned out this
LDA had trouble looking up aliases, so I switched back to 'virtual'
while I figured it out.

(I had 'soft_bounce' enabled, so the messages that resulted in "user
unknown" got dumped into the deferred queue.)

But after switching the LDA to 'virtual', where aliases work fine, and
redelivering messages (either with "postqueue -f" or with pfqueue), I
still get a "user unknown" SOFTBOUNCE, even though new mail for the
same aliases makes it through fine.

So why does it seem like the deferred messages are still being
processed using the 'dovecot' LDA? I still have the 'dovecot'
transport in master.cf, but it isn't called up from main.cf at all.
The system is working flawlessly now with 'virtual', except for the
deferred messages. Please let me know whether full configs are
needed.

- Darek

From: Matt Hayes on
On 06/17/2010 08:31 PM, Darek M wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I had a properly running install of Postfix/MySQL/virtual, with the
> following in main.cf
>
> virtual_mailbox_domains =
> proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_mailbox_domains.cf
> virtual_mailbox_base = /home/vmail
> virtual_mailbox_maps = proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_mailbox_maps.cf
> virtual_minimum_uid = 100
> virtual_uid_maps = static:5000
> virtual_gid_maps = static:5000
> virtual_alias_maps =
> proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_alias_maps.cf,
> proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_alias_domain_maps.cf
>
> I then switched to the "dovecot" LDA, with this in main.cf replacing the above:
>
> dovecot_destination_recipient_limit = 1
> virtual_mailbox_domains =
> proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_mailbox_domains.cf
> virtual_transport = dovecot
>
> with the 'dovecot' transport defined in master.cf. Turned out this
> LDA had trouble looking up aliases, so I switched back to 'virtual'
> while I figured it out.
>
> (I had 'soft_bounce' enabled, so the messages that resulted in "user
> unknown" got dumped into the deferred queue.)
>
> But after switching the LDA to 'virtual', where aliases work fine, and
> redelivering messages (either with "postqueue -f" or with pfqueue), I
> still get a "user unknown" SOFTBOUNCE, even though new mail for the
> same aliases makes it through fine.
>
> So why does it seem like the deferred messages are still being
> processed using the 'dovecot' LDA? I still have the 'dovecot'
> transport in master.cf, but it isn't called up from main.cf at all.
> The system is working flawlessly now with 'virtual', except for the
> deferred messages. Please let me know whether full configs are
> needed.
>
> - Darek

Darek,

man postsuper