From: Suzie762 on
At home I have Excel 2007 student version. My boss has Excel 2007 commercial
version. Can I work at home and transfer files to my boss's computer? My
boss's computer would not open my work. Any ideas and help is appreciated.
Thanks!
From: Dave Peterson on
You should be able to share files.

How did the boss try to open the file -- by double clicking on it in windows
explorer (or opening from an email) or by starting excel and then using the
equivalent of File|open?

And what happened when the boss tried and failed? Any error/warning messages?

--

Dave Peterson
From: Suzie762 on
I was doing the work (not the boss), I opened Excel on his computer and
double clicked the file which I transfered with a flash drive. Can't
remember exact wording, but something like......can't find file, check
spelling and wording of document. Was is the way I saved it at home? Thanks
for your help! Very much appreciated.

From: Dave Peterson on
Nope.

Open excel, then hit ctrl-o to open your workbook. Personally, I'd copy that
file from the thumbdrive to the local harddrive (or network drive). I don't
think it's a good idea to work on files directly from removeable storage (but
that's not the problem).

I bet the boss had trouble opening a file on his own pc if it or its path
contains space characters.

Saved from a previous post:

Sometimes one of these works when you're having trouble with double
clicking on the file in windows explorer:

Tools|Options|General|Uncheck "Ignore other applications"
(xl2003 menus)

or
Office Button|Excel Options|Advanced|General|Uncheck "Ignore other applications
that use DDE"
(xl2007)

--- or ---

Close Excel and
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /unregserver
then
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /regserver

The /unregserver & /regserver stuff resets some of the windows registry to
excel's factory defaults.

--

Dave Peterson
From: Suzie762 on
Thanks for your advice, I'l give it a try on Monday!