From: Jens Thoms Toerring on
Nicolas George <nicolas$george(a)salle-s.org> wrote:
> Your message explains very well how things work, but it has a technical
> mistake I would like to correct for it to be completely accurate.

> You are confusing timeslice and timer interrupt period.

[...all the good stuff snipped...]

Hi Nicolas,

thank you a lot for this very interesting and enlightening
correction!
Best regards, Jens
--
\ Jens Thoms Toerring ___ jt(a)toerring.de
From: David Schwartz on
On Feb 19, 3:29 pm, "novicki...(a)gmail.com" <novicki...(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

> I can not sleep for 1 millisecond only.

In general, an ordinary, non-privileged process cannot sleep for 1
millisecond other than by just wasting 1 millisecond of CPU. The
problem is that this is too little time to sensibly give to another
process.

What is your outer problem? Odds are there's a sensible solution to
it.

DS
From: Rainer Weikusat on
Nicolas George <nicolas$george(a)salle-s.org> writes:

[...]

>> Going
>> beyond that is possible but would make the machine seem to be a
>> lot slower without any benefit for most users.
>
> Except for timerless schedulers.

The actual name of this feature is 'tickless', not 'timerless'.
From: Rainer Weikusat on
pacman(a)kosh.dhis.org (Alan Curry) writes:
> novickivan(a)gmail.com <novickivan(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> |
> |Ahhh ok. I am using Suse Enterprise Linux 11. I guess my box is set
> |to 250 Hz interval timer.
>
> You can find out like this:
>
> zcat /proc/config.gz | grep HZ
>
> Unless someone's been dumb enough to disable /proc/config.gz

It is pretty pointless to keep the .config-file used to compile a
kernel in kernel memory when real file on some persistent medium which
is not permanently loaded into RAM 'works' just as well.
From: David Schwartz on
On Feb 21, 1:07 pm, Rainer Weikusat <rweiku...(a)mssgmbh.com> wrote:

> > Unless someone's been dumb enough to disable /proc/config.gz

> It is pretty pointless to keep the .config-file used to compile a
> kernel in kernel memory when real file on some persistent medium which
> is not permanently loaded into RAM 'works' just as well.

It's saved my bacon more than once, FWIW.

DS
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: directories III