From: Mike Jones on

I just noticed I have a recursive set of ~X11 symlink subdirs in /usr/bin

Anybody seen anything like this before on Slack 12.2?

Its the same on at least two different machines, and both are reasonably
fresh installs. Both have NVIDIA drivers installed, but different
versions. Not that I have any suggestion that could be the source of the
problem.

I'm not seeing anything in my searches so far, so a clue would be nice
about now if anybody has one?

Ta.

--
*=( http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/
*=( For all your UK news needs.
From: John K. Herreshoff on
Mike Jones wrote:

> I just noticed I have a recursive set of ~X11 symlink subdirs in
> /usr/bin
>
> Anybody seen anything like this before on Slack 12.2?
>
> Its the same on at least two different machines, and both are
> reasonably fresh installs. Both have NVIDIA drivers installed, but
> different versions. Not that I have any suggestion that could be the
> source of the problem.
>
> I'm not seeing anything in my searches so far, so a clue would be
> nice about now if anybody has one?
>
> Ta.

Yes! I just looked, and there they are. This is a recent clean
install of slackware 12.2, and I've also got the newest nvidia driver
from nvidia.

John.

--
Using the jch_box.
From: Mike Jones on
Responding to John K. Herreshoff:

> Mike Jones wrote:
>

>> I just noticed I have a recursive set of ~X11 symlink subdirs in
>> /usr/bin
>>
>> Anybody seen anything like this before on Slack 12.2?
>>
>> Its the same on at least two different machines, and both are
>> reasonably fresh installs. Both have NVIDIA drivers installed, but
>> different versions. Not that I have any suggestion that could be the
>> source of the problem.
>>
>> I'm not seeing anything in my searches so far, so a clue would be nice
>> about now if anybody has one?
>>
>> Ta.
>>

> Yes! I just looked, and there they are. This is a recent clean install
> of slackware 12.2, and I've also got the newest nvidia driver from
> nvidia.
>
> John.

Ok. Lets find out. Totally fresh Slack 12.2 install. No users, no NVIDIA
drivers. Xorg not run yet.

Its there too!

This is a Slackware thing!

--
*=( http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/
*=( For all your UK news needs.
From: Richard Herbert on
On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 23:34:09 +0000, Mike Jones wrote:

> This is a Slackware thing!

Not necessarily. Old X applications may try to write to /usr/bin/X11,
while newer ones will look for /usr/bin. The recursive symlink is a
result of trying to support these old apps. In other words, ignore it and
get on with your life.

--
Richard Herbert
Registered Linux user 14329
From: Murat D. Kadirov on
On 23.06.2010 04:55, Mike Jones wrote:

> I just noticed I have a recursive set of ~X11 symlink subdirs in /usr/bin
>
> Anybody seen anything like this before on Slack 12.2?
>
> Its the same on at least two different machines, and both are reasonably
> fresh installs. Both have NVIDIA drivers installed, but different
> versions. Not that I have any suggestion that could be the source of the
> problem.
>
> I'm not seeing anything in my searches so far, so a clue would be nice
> about now if anybody has one?
>
> Ta.

I have the same recursive set on all my machines (4) with difference
video: Nvidia, Intel, Sis, Via.

--
Murat D. Kadirov
PGP fingerprint: 3081 EBFA 5CB9 BD24 4DB6 76EE 1B97 0A0E CEC0 6AA0