From: Brian Candler on
Hemant Kumar wrote:
> You should configure ruby with "--enable-shared" option and then you
> can just put
>
> export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/opt/ruby/lib:.
>
> this should fix you up, in no time.

LD_LIBRARY_PATH is a rather fragile frig. It will fail whenever this
environment variable is not set.

In any modern Linux distro, you should be able to do this:

echo "/opt/ruby/lib" >/etc/ld.so.conf.d/ruby.conf
ldconfig

which will configure the loader permanently to search for libraries in
/opt/ruby/lib, and does not depend on environment variables.

If you don't have an /etc/ld.so.conf.d/ directory, then edit
/etc/ld.so.conf, add the line
/opt/ruby/lib
to the end, then run ldconfig

From: Venkat Akkineni on
Thanks for the tip Brian. Now I know one more linux tool i.e ldconfig.

Venkat