From: Hilary Bailey on
I will like to know how to use programming languages to create a
computer software. I was advised to start with Ruby. Half-way through
'Beginning Ruby From Novice to Professional', it refers to C and/or C++
as fundamentals. HELP. What is a practical approach to learning how to
create a computer software from scratch. I am in the the field of
secondary education with some knowledge of Excel, Words and SPSS.

Thanking you in advance for your response

Hilary Bailey

From: Jesús Gabriel y Galán on
On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 5:23 PM, Hilary Bailey <my77elephants(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I will like to know how to use programming languages to create a
> computer software. I was advised to start with Ruby. Half-way through
> 'Beginning Ruby From Novice to Professional', it refers to C and/or C++
> as fundamentals. HELP. What is a practical approach to learning how to
> create a computer software from scratch. I am in the the field of
> secondary education with some knowledge of Excel, Words and SPSS.

Perhaps this book is more appropriate for an absolute beginner?

http://pine.fm/LearnToProgram

Jesus.

From: Hilary Bailey on
Jesús Gabriel y Galán wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 5:23 PM, Hilary Bailey <my77elephants(a)gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> I will like to know how to use programming languages to create a
>> computer software. I was advised to start with Ruby. Half-way through
>> 'Beginning Ruby From Novice to Professional', it refers to C and/or C++
>> as fundamentals. HELP. What is a practical approach to learning how to
>> create a computer software from scratch. I am in the the field of
>> secondary education with some knowledge of Excel, Words and SPSS.
>
> Perhaps this book is more appropriate for an absolute beginner?
>
> http://pine.fm/LearnToProgram
>
> Jesus.

Jesus, the book is just as similar to Beginning Ruby From Novice to
Professional. Do i have to learn C and or C++ before even thinking of
using Ruby or attempting to write a software?

Tk in advance

From: Jesús Gabriel y Galán on
On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 5:36 PM, Hilary Bailey <my77elephants(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Jesús Gabriel y Galán wrote:
>> On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 5:23 PM, Hilary Bailey <my77elephants(a)gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> I will like to know how to use programming languages to create a
>>> computer software. I was advised to start with Ruby. Half-way through
>>> 'Beginning Ruby From Novice to Professional', it refers to C and/or C++
>>> as fundamentals. HELP. What is a practical approach to learning how to
>>> create a computer software from scratch. I am in the the field of
>>> secondary education with some knowledge of Excel, Words and SPSS.
>>
>> Perhaps this book is more appropriate for an absolute beginner?
>>
>> http://pine.fm/LearnToProgram
>>
>> Jesus.
>
> Jesus, the book is just as similar to Beginning Ruby From Novice to
> Professional.

I don't know, I see Chris Pine's recommended a lot in this list, and
it seems to really target people who are starting.

> Do i have to learn C and or C++ before even thinking of
> using Ruby or attempting to write a software?

Not at all. I think Ruby can make a good first language. It also
depends to which extent you want to be a programmer. In my opinion at
some point learning C does you good, cause you learn how low level
things work. I think you can start with Ruby and see where this takes
you, then decide from there. There are many languages and many
programming paradigms. At some point it's good to learn language from
different paradigms to broaden your perspective.

Jesus.

From: Aldric Giacomoni on
Hilary Bailey wrote:
> What is a practical approach to learning how to
> create a computer software from scratch.

Write programs yourself. A good place to start is
http://projecteuler.net/ especially because it may force you to do
research online about whatever algorithms it may be talking about.
Online research is important.
Write some more programs. Read the documentation and API when necessary
( http://ruby-doc.org/core/ ).
Write some more programs. Ask for help here on how to do things you
don't understand.
Write some more programs. Look up and read Why's Poignant Guide to Ruby.

That's the gist of it, to get started.

Next steps:

Read people's code.
Write programs.
Read people's code.
Send in patches (optional but appreciated) for other people's code.
Read people's code.
Write programs.