From: Hilary Bailey on
Matthew K. Williams wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Apr 2010, Hilary Bailey wrote:
>
>>> Perhaps this book is more appropriate for an absolute beginner?
>>>
>>> http://pine.fm/LearnToProgram
>>>
>>> Jesus.
>>
>> Jesus, the book is just as similar to Beginning Ruby From Novice to
>> Professional. Do i have to learn C and or C++ before even thinking of
>> using Ruby or attempting to write a software?
>>

> No, you don't need to learn C. I just read the first couple of chapters
> of the Pine book, and didn't see anything relating to C, but your
> mileage
> may vary.
>
> Taking a step back, what sort of program are you wishing to write? What
> sort of problem are you hoping to solve?
>
> Matt

Hi Matt,

It is a program that will evaluate the progress of a school district.

From: Matthew K. Williams on
On Tue, 6 Apr 2010, Hilary Bailey wrote:

> Matthew K. Williams wrote:

>>> Jesus, the book is just as similar to Beginning Ruby From Novice to
>>> Professional. Do i have to learn C and or C++ before even thinking of
>>> using Ruby or attempting to write a software?
>>>

>> No, you don't need to learn C. I just read the first couple of chapters
>> of the Pine book, and didn't see anything relating to C, but your
>> mileage
>> may vary.
>>
>> Taking a step back, what sort of program are you wishing to write? What
>> sort of problem are you hoping to solve?
>>
>> Matt
>
> Hi Matt,
>
> It is a program that will evaluate the progress of a school district.

Ok, I assume you need to enter data and perform some sort of calculation.
Does the data already exist in some format, or will it be entered
manually?

Is the data grouped by school, teacher, etc? How is the data organized?

Do you want the data to be able to be saved and/or accumulated over time?

How do you want users to interract with the program? On a command line or
via a web interface? Will there be more than one user?

What sort of report(s) and/or response to the user do you wish to provide?

Lots of questions, I know, but these are things to consider in the
process. I've found it useful to think at a high level about the
following:

1. What I have (data, etc.)
2. What I need (output and other requirements)
3. How I get there (calculations, etc.)

Once you have an idea of how to answer these questions, you can proceed
from there.

Matt

From: Robert Klemme on
On 04/05/2010 05:49 PM, Hilary Bailey wrote:
> Matthew K. Williams wrote:

>> Taking a step back, what sort of program are you wishing to write? What
>> sort of problem are you hoping to solve?
>
> It is a program that will evaluate the progress of a school district.

Do you really need to program for that? I imagine the progress of a
school district is measured in terms of a bunch of statistical figures.
If that's the case then you might be able to build on your Excel
skills. Excel is a really great tool which can do amazing things for
you (legal notice: I do not claim that it can make coffee). And you can
even combine it with nearly any relational database to pull data from
and visualize it. (OpenOffice can do similar things but the online
documentation is by far not as good as Excel's.)

Kind regards

robert

http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/
From: Hilary Bailey on
Richard Conroy wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 4:36 PM, Hilary Bailey
> <my77elephants(a)gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> > Perhaps this book is more appropriate for an absolute beginner?
>> >
>> > http://pine.fm/LearnToProgram
>> >
>> > Jesus.
>>
>> Jesus, the book is just as similar to Beginning Ruby From Novice to
>> Professional. Do i have to learn C and or C++ before even thinking of
>> using Ruby or attempting to write a software?
>>

> Are we talking about the same book? I am trying to recall any mention of
> C or C++ in Learn to Program whatsoever, unless it was placing it in
> context.
>
> You might want to look out for Shoes, or the Hackety Hack Ruby
> extensions.
> They use Ruby as a baseline. but simplify it further specifically for
> helping
> beginners & kids to learn programming.

On pgs 296 and 297. There is not clarity as how to use the million of
concepts. Someone recommended to abandon Ruby and go directly to Ruby on
Rails, as it offers more flexibility while learning Ruby and also Rails.

From: Hilary Bailey on
Robert Klemme wrote:
> On 04/05/2010 05:49 PM, Hilary Bailey wrote:
>> Matthew K. Williams wrote:
>
>>> Taking a step back, what sort of program are you wishing to write? What
>>> sort of problem are you hoping to solve?
>>
>> It is a program that will evaluate the progress of a school district.
>
> Do you really need to program for that? I imagine the progress of a
> school district is measured in terms of a bunch of statistical figures.
> If that's the case then you might be able to build on your Excel
> skills. Excel is a really great tool which can do amazing things for
> you (legal notice: I do not claim that it can make coffee). And you can
> even combine it with nearly any relational database to pull data from
> and visualize it. (OpenOffice can do similar things but the online
> documentation is by far not as good as Excel's.)
>
> Kind regards
>
> robert

Hi Robert,
I have an innovation that goes beyond what is in place