From: Helmut Meukel on
"Nobody" <nobody(a)nobody.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> "GS" <GS(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Also, VBA isn't limited to just M$O apps; ..more and more software now
>> supports built in automation by licensing VBA from M$. <BTW> I see M$ has
>> released VBA7 for the 64-bit versions of M$O. Where's VB7 for 64-bit
>> Windows????
>
> Off topic: MS stopped licensing VBA for new customers. It's basically in
> maintenance mode. New customers who want VBA have to use the .Nxt variant.
>
> http://m sdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/aa700828.aspx

Hmmm,

this link points to Visual Studio 2005 Tools for Applications.
So VSTA is quite old. There is an announcement for
Visual Studio Tools for Applications 2.0:
Visual Studio Tools for Applications 2.0 is the next release of VSTA.
For more information, see
Visual Studio Tools for Applications 2.0 Product Information.

The link should point to
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/vsx2008/products/bb933739.aspx

But when I clicked on it, I got redirected to Visual Studio 2010.
No word about VSTA2.0.
After more searching I finally found a downloadable fact sheet about
VSTA2.0.
What comes with Visual Studio 2010? VSTA3.0? Nothing at all?

Helmut.

From: Helmut Meukel on
"Nobody" <nobody(a)nobody.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> "GS" <GS(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Also, VBA isn't limited to just M$O apps; ..more and more software now
>> supports built in automation by licensing VBA from M$. <BTW> I see M$ has
>> released VBA7 for the 64-bit versions of M$O. Where's VB7 for 64-bit
>> Windows????
>
> Off topic: MS stopped licensing VBA for new customers. It's basically in
> maintenance mode. New customers who want VBA have to use the .Nxt variant.
>
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/aa700828.aspx

After my last post I found this

| With the introduction of the new 64-bit version of Microsoft Office 2010, a
new version
| of Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications (VBA), known as Microsoft Visual
Basic for
| Applications 7.0 (VBA 7), is being released to work with both 32-bit and
64-bit applications.
| It is important to note that the changes addressed in this article apply only
to the 64-bit
| version of Microsoft Office 2010. Using the 32-bit version of Office 2010
enables you to
| use solutions built in previous versions of Microsoft Office without
modification.

To me this looks like M$ dropped VSTA, or do you think they will support both?
I copied the above from:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee691831(office.14).aspx

Helmut.

From: Mayayana on
| To me this looks like M$ dropped VSTA, or do you think they will support
both?
| I copied the above from:
| http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee691831(office.14).aspx

As I understood it GS was pointing out that MS is
still working with -- and updating -- native code and
COM, while (as Nobody pointed out) they push the
dregs of .Net/Silverlight on everyone else going forward.

Nothing new there.

From: GS on
After serious thinking Mayayana wrote :
>> To me this looks like M$ dropped VSTA, or do you think they will support
>> both? I copied the above from:
>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee691831(office.14).aspx
>>

> As I understood it GS was pointing out that MS is
> still working with -- and updating -- native code and
> COM, while (as Nobody pointed out) they push the
> dregs of .Net/Silverlight on everyone else going forward.
>
> Nothing new there.

Yes, you are correct about my assertion. Thanks for clarifying!

Fact is, it won't surprise me at all if M$ switches from using VBA as
their built-in macro language to some .Net/Silverlight spin-off!
-Again, nothing new there either.

I'm trying to learn VB6 so I can divorce myself from dependancy on MSO
VBA project addins. It's not that I deliberately chose to go to using
VB6 COM from using MSO addins, I just happen to have VS6 Pro already
because I wanted some way for making DLLs to use with my MSO addins.
Given the portability of the code between VB & VBA it seemed a logical
choice (at the time). (..and was easy enough to do since my mentor
wrote a really good book explaining in detail the why & how of it)

Also, this transition from 32-bit to 64-bit just adds more reason,
going forward, to get away from using M$ products for software
development. I'm not saying this in total ignorance of what has been
made available in their VS.Net packages because I also have VS2008 Pro.
I have to admit that I was disappointed with most of it. (Might make an
exception for C# if they improve its COM features for MSO) Seems M$ is
always chasing someone else's technology so they can maintain their
"edge", offering us dupe technology being passed off as their own.
-Again, nothing new there either!

Anyway, it's only a matter of time before all OSs are replaced with
64-bit versions same as were 16-bit OSs. I suspect that holds true for
automated machinery too, eventually. It will be interesting to see what
language they go to using for their controllers since most still run on
DOS6.2 running some form af "Basic" programming language. Gee, do you
think we'll see DOS64? ..or does it already exist?

Garry

From: Mayayana on
| Seems M$ is
| always chasing someone else's technology so they can maintain their
| "edge", offering us dupe technology being passed off as their own.
| -Again, nothing new there either!

The me-too news this week is that MS is going
to team up with Facebook to set up an online
version of Office. People on Facebook will be able
to "share docs with their friends". That's about as
desperate as it gets.

Come to think of it, it's been an odd week. Steve
Jobs banned an iPad "app" because it teaches kids
about programming:
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/04/apple-scratch-app/

.....Facebook announced that "all your data are belong
to us", prompting several Facebook addicts to go so
far as to say that they might have to quit Facebook
some day if they don't get more respect. (Presumably
they'll wait until their Farmville harvest is safely in
from the fields.)
http://yro.slashdot.org/story/10/04/24/1222210/Facebook-Retroactively-Makes-More-User-Data-Public

....Blippy.com actually has people signing up to share
their shopping activity...and their credit cards:
http://consumerist.com/2010/04/blippy-exposes-users-credit-card-numbers-to-internet.html

.....Some young woman somewhere is inventing
fashion clothing that will automatically carry out
one's anti-social networking. One only has to
move in order to auto-post an update. Though it's
not clear what the update content would be. But
who cares, right?

....Meanwhile the hotshot experts claim Facebook is the
new Internet and the iPad is revolutionary.

That's all in the past week. Didn't there used to be
some adults online?