From: Melvin on
Hi,

I am a newbie to vb...Can somebodyprovide me a simple vb script for
opening notepad in vista using windows shell

Thanks
VB baby
From: Nobody on
"Melvin" <whereismelvin(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I am a newbie to vb...Can somebodyprovide me a simple vb script for
> opening notepad in vista using windows shell

What version of VB are you planning to use? This group is for VB classic(VB6
or lower) which is very different from VB.Net(sometimes called VB
2005/2008). If this what you plan to use, then ask in this group:

If you are asking about VBScript which uses files that usually have VBS
extension, then it's also different, and you need to ask in this group:

However, you may find this free software more fitting to what you are trying
to do:

http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/index.shtml

From: Mayayana on

| However, you may find this free software more fitting to what you are
trying
| to do:
|
| http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/index.shtml

I don't mean to start a VBS thread, but Autoit would
be overkill for what he wants. It only requires this:

Set SH = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
SH.Run "notepad.exe"

Melvin,

The help file for VBS is here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=01592C48-207D-4BE1-8A76-1C4099D7BBB9&displaylang=en

As Nobody said, you should ask any further
questions in the VBScript group. VB and VB.Net
and VBScript are 3 entirely different things. They
have similarities in appearance and name, which
creates a lot of confusion. Some people are under
the mistaken impression that VB and VBScript are
interchangeable, and that one can just take VB
code and turn it into VBScript by removing "strong
data typing". But it doesn't work that way. VB and
VBS are entirely different systems, and the code
diverges once you get more involved than something
like:

MsgBox "Hello"

From: Rick Rothstein on

> | However, you may find this free software more fitting to what you are
> trying
> | to do:
> |
> | http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/index.shtml
> |

> I don't mean to start a VBS thread, but Autoit would
> be overkill for what he wants. It only requires this:
>
> Set SH = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
> SH.Run "notepad.exe"

Or maybe even this one-liner...

Shell "notepad.exe"

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

From: Mayayana on

| > Set SH = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
| > SH.Run "notepad.exe"
|
| Or maybe even this one-liner...
|
| Shell "notepad.exe"

There's no Shell method in VBS. The
following works, but it's confusing, hard to
debug, and blurs the object instantiation --
making it pretty much indecipherable to
new people:

CreateObject("WScript.Shell").Run "notepad.exe"