From: David Kaye on
"Henning" <computer_hero(a)coldmail.com> wrote:

>Just read here or there that someone deliberately saved files in that
>format. For me it's a big why?? to save some CR's? Or is it to ease for
>mac'ers to read the files?

The CRLF format is peculiar to DOS and Windows. In the rest of the world it's
just CR.

From: David Kaye on
sfdavidkaye2(a)yahoo.com (David Kaye) wrote:

>The CRLF format is peculiar to DOS and Windows. In the rest of the world it's
>just CR.

I got it backwards. It's LF.

From: dpb on
David Kaye wrote:
> "Henning" <computer_hero(a)coldmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Just read here or there that someone deliberately saved files in that
>> format. For me it's a big why?? to save some CR's? Or is it to ease for
>> mac'ers to read the files?
>
> The CRLF format is peculiar to DOS and Windows. In the rest of the
> world it's just CR.

For suitable definitions of "rest" and time frame, anyway... :)

DEC RT-11 was at least one crlf that I recall.

CDC NOS used double 6-bit 0's (after 60-bit words).

Many other things that now seem oddities... :)

From: Jeff Johnson on
"David Kaye" <sfdavidkaye2(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>Just read here or there that someone deliberately saved files in that
>>format. For me it's a big why?? to save some CR's? Or is it to ease for
>>mac'ers to read the files?
>
> The CRLF format is peculiar to DOS and Windows.

In the sense of they're the only surviving major OSes that use that
convention. They certainly didn't invent it just to be different; they
inherited it from their predecessors.

> In the rest of the world it's just CR.

You've already corrected yourself on that one, but realize that "the rest of
the world" isn't as big as it might sound when you consider just how much of
the world is DOS and Windows!

From: Dee Earley on
On 07/06/2010 21:01, David Kaye wrote:
> "Henning"<computer_hero(a)coldmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Just read here or there that someone deliberately saved files in that
>> format. For me it's a big why?? to save some CR's? Or is it to ease for
>> mac'ers to read the files?
>
> The CRLF format is peculiar to DOS and Windows. In the rest of the world it's
> just CR.

Erm, the vast majority of (text based) network protocols specify a CRLF
line ending.
SMTP, POP, IMAP, HTTP (and derivatives), NNTP, Email content, etc. all
use CRLF.

--
Dee Earley (dee.earley(a)icode.co.uk)
i-Catcher Development Team