From: Mike Williams on
"ralph" <nt_consulting64(a)yahoo.net> wrote in message
> On Tue, 8 Jun 2010 09:54:26 +0100, "Mike Williams"
> <Mike(a)WhiskeyAndCoke.com> wrote:
>>although in the case of the manual typewriter
>> it was LF followed by CR.
>
> It will perhaps make more sense if you appreciate that
> 'Line Printing" came from Telegraphy/Teletype devices,
> not 'manual typewriters'.

What do you mean by, "it will perhaps make more sense"? It already makes
sense to me. Always has done. As I stated, and as you can see in the above
extract, "in the case of the manual typewriter it was LF followed by CR". I
don't care where the phrase "Line Printing" came from (although I do know
where it came from). I never mentioned that phrase since it was not relevant
to what I was saying. I simply stated the truth, and that is the fact that
on the old fashioned manual typewriter it was almost universally "line feed
before carriage return". There have been a few "odd ball" machines, but in
general the operator of almost all manual typewriters typed characters one
by one and as she did so the carriage slowly moved to the left, until the
desired end of the line was reached. Then the operator almost invariably
performed a "line feed" to roll the paper down to the next line, followed by
a carriage return to return the carriage back to the right side of the
machine in order to start typing the next line, and those two operations
were carried out in that specific order by the same one lever movement. And
of course old fashioned manual typewriters, which as I have said almost
invariably used line feed followed by carriage return, long predated your
telegraphy and teletype / teleprinter device (which, incidentally, we had
great fun with many years ago when I was in the Army, sending images of the
Queen and other unsavoury characters as Ascii :-)

Mike