From: Eric Valette on
Hi david,

As I saw some changes in the .35, I tried again on amilo xi 3650. As you
will see its a Intel/Nvidia hybrid graphic laptop.

When I use the delayed switch option, and restart X via the kdm restart
X server option, I see the message of the switch and then it hangs rock
solid. I'm forced to push on the power button for 5 s.

vga_switcheroo: client 0 refused switch <== exiting the kdm session
vga_switcheroo: setting delayed switch to client 1
vga_switcheroo: processing delayed switch to 1 <== restarting X server

If I use the bios, to force the cards, both settings works correctly,
hybrid mode also works correctly as long as I use the Intel card but I
cannot activate dynamically the nvidia one via vga switcheroo.

Problem is that to have the hdmi output on this laptop I'm forced to use
the nvidia driver and my kid like to see their film on TV...

uname -a
Linux pink-floyd2 2.6.35-rc4-git5 #142 SMP PREEMPT Mon Jul 12 22:54:13
CEST 2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux

lscpi and dmesg attached. Is there anything I can try to make it work or
debug? Actually the drivers are in kernel.

--eric
From: Eric Valette on
On 15/07/2010 11:16, Dave Airlie wrote:

> [drm:i915_init] *ERROR* drm/i915 can't work without intel_agp module!
>
> doesn't look good,

Its because I sent the dmesg while nvidia card was forced in the BIOS.
Here is the dmesg in hybrid mode

> though I still haven't had a successful intel/nvidia switch as I lack
> the hardware, and nobody has worked out exactly which ACPI method is
> used to switch the MUX.

You have a bunch of DSTD.dsl for the amilo including mine here
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg-server/+bug/312756

I attached it for convenience

> if you can get a dmesg with i915 and nouveau loaded then open a bug on
> bugs.kernel.org I can try and work with you to figure that out,

I guess I can now fill one?

-- eric
From: Dave Airlie on
On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 1:04 AM, Eric Valette <eric.valette(a)free.fr> wrote:
> On 15/07/2010 11:16, Dave Airlie wrote:
>
>> [drm:i915_init] *ERROR* drm/i915 can't work without intel_agp module!
>>
>> doesn't look good,
>
> Its because I sent the dmesg while nvidia card was forced in the BIOS. Here
> is the dmesg in hybrid mode
>
>> though I still haven't had a successful intel/nvidia switch as I lack
>> the hardware, and nobody has worked out exactly which ACPI method is
>> used to switch the MUX.
>
> You have a bunch of DSTD.dsl for the amilo including mine here
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg-server/+bug/312756
>
> I attached it for convenience
>>
>> if you can get a dmesg with i915 and nouveau loaded then open a bug on
>> bugs.kernel.org I can try and work with you to figure that out,
>
> I guess I can now fill one?

Yup please do, attach those two files.

We might have to play guess the switch method.

Dave.
From: Dave Airlie on
On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 1:04 AM, Eric Valette <eric.valette(a)free.fr> wrote:
> On 15/07/2010 11:16, Dave Airlie wrote:
>
>> [drm:i915_init] *ERROR* drm/i915 can't work without intel_agp module!
>>
>> doesn't look good,
>
> Its because I sent the dmesg while nvidia card was forced in the BIOS. Here
> is the dmesg in hybrid mode
>
>> though I still haven't had a successful intel/nvidia switch as I lack
>> the hardware, and nobody has worked out exactly which ACPI method is
>> used to switch the MUX.
>
> You have a bunch of DSTD.dsl for the amilo including mine here
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg-server/+bug/312756
>
> I attached it for convenience
>>
>> if you can get a dmesg with i915 and nouveau loaded then open a bug on
>> bugs.kernel.org I can try and work with you to figure that out,
>
> I guess I can now fill one?

Also if you could try disabling the nvidia, with echoing OFF then ON
and post that dmesg as well.

Dave.
From: Eric Valette on
On 16/07/2010 12:28, Dave Airlie wrote:

> Also if you could try disabling the nvidia, with echoing OFF then ON
> and post that dmesg as well.

Done. Attached in the bug report.

--eric