From: steveuk on
I have tried installing vista sp1 several times & have done file checks
memory checks chkdsk & stopped antivirus etc.. it takes a couple of hours &
it fails each time the error code i'm getting after its failed is 8004401E
does anyone know what this means?
From: Chris Wood on
Steve,

Is it being offered by Microsoft Update or have you tried to apply after
downloading it? MS will not offer it thru Microsoft Update unless your
drivers are good for SP1.

Chris

From: werwykso on
This is not helpful. I have tried to install MS SP1 for Vista 3 times and
after hours of downloading I get a message that says " Download did not
install". There is no error code.

From: TaurArian on
Unlimited installation and compatibility support for Vista SP1 is available at no charge
through 18 Mar-09

.. US:
http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-us&prid=11274&gprid=500921

.. CA:
http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-ca&prid=11274&gprid=500921

.. UK:
http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-gb&prid=11274&gprid=500921

.. AU:
http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-au&prid=11274&gprid=500921

.. Other: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx
| select Windows Vista | select Windows Vista Service Pack 1

Thanks to PA Bear MVP for putting the list together.

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org