From: Mary on
I hope this is the discussion group for VB6.

I have a vb6 project with crystal report 8.5. In the program once i click on
RDC to open a report in design view I got this "Visual basic has stopped
working" message comes up and I have to closed out visual basic. It always
happens when I tried to open the report designer. I can run or compile the
program fine without opening reports.

My computer is vista home with SP2.

Any suggestions?

From: Jeff Johnson on
"Mary" <Mary(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>I hope this is the discussion group for VB6.
>
> I have a vb6 project with crystal report 8.5. In the program once i click
> on
> RDC to open a report in design view I got this "Visual basic has stopped
> working" message comes up and I have to closed out visual basic. It always
> happens when I tried to open the report designer. I can run or compile the
> program fine without opening reports.
>
> My computer is vista home with SP2.
>
> Any suggestions?

The first thing I'd suggest would be to reinstall Crystal. (Well, honestly
the first thing I'd suggest would be to take a blowtorch to Crystal, but
that probably wouldn't help you much....)

If that doesn't work, I'd reinstall VB as well.

From: ralph on
On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 08:37:28 -0700, Mary
<Mary(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I hope this is the discussion group for VB6.
>
>I have a vb6 project with crystal report 8.5. In the program once i click on
>RDC to open a report in design view I got this "Visual basic has stopped
>working" message comes up and I have to closed out visual basic. It always
>happens when I tried to open the report designer. I can run or compile the
>program fine without opening reports.
>
>My computer is vista home with SP2.
>
>Any suggestions?

When the project is closed delete all the ".DCA" files. They are a
temp cache for VB to use, and VB will recreate them as needed.

Is there any chance that you recently copied the project from one
location to another and forgot, or have a "miss-matched" .DSX file (if
any)? Do the .DCA, .DSX, or .DSR files have full permissions?
Occasionally while using a SCCS or other utility they get marked
Read-Only.

There is always the chance the .DSR is corrupted. Bad news, if that is
the problem, is there is little you can do but go back to the designer
and build a new one. Well not quite correct - try making a small
change. Save the file. Then re-open and remove your change, and try
again. This may create a good one. Trouble is "old stuff", or a
problem with a specific control, in the Designer is often "untouched".

[The designers are formatted similar to INI files. If it is a large
report, and you have tried everything else, you might try opening one
in an editor and look for "trash". But takes a bit of experience to
tell trash from data. <g>]

There are occasional exotic and rare issues with Designers and how
they are created and used in an app. Are you perhaps doing anything
creative?

hth
-ralph
From: Mary on
Thank you very much. I did move my source code from one computer to the
other. I will reinstall crystal report first since that's where the problem
occurs.