From: Stefano on
Hi,
I'm using vsftpd as FTP server. I have configured the vsftpd.conf
and specified a line with banner_file. I'm using a Windows XP client
machine for downloading. If I use ftp from command line the
"banner_file" it's showed correctly. If I try to download from
internet explorer or firefox (ftp://myftpsite.mydomain.com) it
doesn't
show the banner. Do I need to specify other parameters for ftp://
download ?

Thanks in advance

From: Allen Kistler on
Stefano wrote:

> [snip]
>
> .... If I try to download from
> internet explorer or firefox (ftp://myftpsite.mydomain.com) it
> doesn't
> show the banner. Do I need to specify other parameters for ftp://
> download ?

Browsers throw away the banner. There's nothing you can do.
From: Stefano on
> Browsers throw away the banner. There's nothing you can do.

Thanks for your reply.
Is there any other way to display a warning for browsers ?

From: Allen Kistler on
Stefano wrote:
>> Browsers throw away the banner. There's nothing you can do.
>
> Thanks for your reply.
> Is there any other way to display a warning for browsers ?

There's an informal convention to make the first file in any directory
listing be 00readme.txt or something similar. Put your caveats in that.
It's up to the visitor to read the file on his own, though.
From: Stefano on

> There's an informal convention to make the first file in any directory
> listing be 00readme.txt or something similar. Put your caveats in that.
> It's up to the visitor to read the file on his own, though.

Thanks again