From: brian_mk on
Does anyone know what the vxdisrva system service does?

I'm running XP pro + service pack 3.
I get an error message in the system event log each time I boot telling me
that the vxdisrva service cannot be started (file not found).

I have searched the net but can find no reference.

Using 'sc' from a command window gives me no useful information about the
service other than it is a kernel driver.
The registry entry has the group is set to 'Parallel arbitrator'.

I'm starting to wonder if it could be a virus or trojan.
I could simply remove the registry entry that attempts to start the service
but I would like to know what it is first.

From: Bob Lucas on
I don't know what the vxdisrva system service does. As you say,
Google provides no useful info whatsoever, which suggest it might
be Malware. Have you tried a Malwarebytes scan?

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "brian_mk" <brian_mk(a)discussions.microsoft.com>

| Does anyone know what the vxdisrva system service does?

| I'm running XP pro + service pack 3.
| I get an error message in the system event log each time I boot telling me
| that the vxdisrva service cannot be started (file not found).

| I have searched the net but can find no reference.

| Using 'sc' from a command window gives me no useful information about the
| service other than it is a kernel driver.
| The registry entry has the group is set to 'Parallel arbitrator'.

| I'm starting to wonder if it could be a virus or trojan.
| I could simply remove the registry entry that attempts to start the service
| but I would like to know what it is first.

Viruses don't creat NT Services. Trojans do.

This is not legitimate.

If you know how to use SC.EXE, use it to stop and delete the service then download,
install, update and then execute, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Dave