From: Greg Hackney on
Advo wrote:
am now getting messages like:

> Oct 4 15:46:48 localhost postfix/smtp[21847]: warning: connect #1 to
> subsystem private/scache: No such file or directory

It looks like the "scache" feature is missing from the master.cf
file, and/or the scache directories missing.

Try running these command as the super-user:

postfix stop
/etc/postfix/post-install upgrade-package
postfix start

post-intall is a shell script that adds any missing
entries to master.cf that are required by newer versions
of Postfix, and it also adds any missing directories,
and makes sure their permissions are set correctly.

--
Greg
From: Advo on

Greg Hackney wrote:
> Advo wrote:
> am now getting messages like:
> >
> > Oct 4 15:46:48 localhost postfix/smtp[21847]: warning: connect #1 to
> > subsystem private/scache: No such file or directory
>
> It looks like the "scache" feature is missing from the master.cf
> file, and/or the scache directories missing.
>
> Try running these command as the super-user:
>
> postfix stop
> /etc/postfix/post-install upgrade-package
> postfix start
>
> post-intall is a shell script that adds any missing
> entries to master.cf that are required by newer versions
> of Postfix, and it also adds any missing directories,
> and makes sure their permissions are set correctly.
>
> --
> Greg

sorry to be a pain but:

[root(a)localhost /]# postfix stop
postfix/postfix-script: stopping the Postfix mail system
[root(a)localhost /]# /etc/postfix/post-install upgrade-package
chown: cannot access `/usr/share/doc/postfix-2.0.18/README_FILES': No
such file or directory

any ideas why?

From: Greg Hackney on
Advo wrote:
> Greg Hackney wrote:
>> Advo wrote:
>> am now getting messages like:
>>> Oct 4 15:46:48 localhost postfix/smtp[21847]: warning: connect #1 to
>>> subsystem private/scache: No such file or directory
>> It looks like the "scache" feature is missing from the master.cf
>> file, and/or the scache directories missing.
>>
>> Try running these command as the super-user:
>>
>> postfix stop
>> /etc/postfix/post-install upgrade-package
>> postfix start
>>
>> post-intall is a shell script that adds any missing
>> entries to master.cf that are required by newer versions
>> of Postfix, and it also adds any missing directories,
>> and makes sure their permissions are set correctly.
>>
>> --
>> Greg
>

> sorry to be a pain but:
>
> [root(a)localhost /]# postfix stop
> postfix/postfix-script: stopping the Postfix mail system
> [root(a)localhost /]# /etc/postfix/post-install upgrade-package
> chown: cannot access `/usr/share/doc/postfix-2.0.18/README_FILES': No
> such file or directory
>
> any ideas why?

Man, what method did you use to install Postfix? From a distribution
package? From source code? Manually copied over? I ask because you
are running into problems that shouldn't occur in a normal installation.
Perhaps you copied over old config files ?

The "post-install" script works based on parameters set in your
main.cf configuration file.

That error about documentation is based on the directory location
of the README files, as defined by the main.cf configuration
parameter: readme_directory

Here's a list all the configurations it uses:

daemon_directory
command_directory
queue_directory
mail_owner
setgid_group
sendmail_path
mailq_path
newaliases_path
html_directory
manpage_directory
sample_directory
readme_directory

In main.cf, just set "readme_directory" to the location of your
system's Postfix README directory, or if you don't have one:

readme_directory=""

--
Greg

From: Advo on

Greg Hackney wrote:
> Advo wrote:
> > Greg Hackney wrote:
> >> Advo wrote:
> >> am now getting messages like:
> >> It looks like the "scache" feature is missing from the master.cf
> >> file, and/or the scache directories missing.
> >>
> >> Try running these command as the super-user:
> >>
> >> postfix stop
> >> /etc/postfix/post-install upgrade-package
> >> postfix start
> >>
> >> post-intall is a shell script that adds any missing
> >> entries to master.cf that are required by newer versions
> >> of Postfix, and it also adds any missing directories,
> >> and makes sure their permissions are set correctly.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Greg
> >

> > sorry to be a pain but:
> >
> > [root(a)localhost /]# postfix stop
> > postfix/postfix-script: stopping the Postfix mail system
> > [root(a)localhost /]# /etc/postfix/post-install upgrade-package
> > chown: cannot access `/usr/share/doc/postfix-2.0.18/README_FILES': No
> > such file or directory
> >
> > any ideas why?
> >

> Man, what method did you use to install Postfix? From a distribution
> package? From source code? Manually copied over? I ask because you
> are running into problems that shouldn't occur in a normal installation.
> Perhaps you copied over old config files ?
>
> The "post-install" script works based on parameters set in your
> main.cf configuration file.
>
> That error about documentation is based on the directory location
> of the README files, as defined by the main.cf configuration
> parameter: readme_directory
>
> Here's a list all the configurations it uses:
>

> daemon_directory
> command_directory
> queue_directory
> mail_owner
> setgid_group
> sendmail_path
> mailq_path
> newaliases_path
> html_directory
> manpage_directory
> sample_directory
> readme_directory
>

> In main.cf, just set "readme_directory" to the location of your
> system's Postfix README directory, or if you don't have one:
>
> readme_directory=""
>
> --
> Greg

do you think it may be a better idea to remove postfix, spamassassin,
amavisd and start again with a fresh install? If so, can i actually
remove all the stuff ive done without breaking anything else? and the
same with the perl modules?

Cheers

From: Greg Hackney on
Advo wrote:

> do you think it may be a better idea to remove postfix, spamassassin,
> amavisd and start again with a fresh install? If so, can i actually
> remove all the stuff ive done without breaking anything else? and the
> same with the perl modules?

That's up to you. Personally I would remove and reinstall Postfix,
especially if you are running an older version. 2.3.3 is the latest.

There's probably no reason to mess with spamassassin, amavisd, and perl,
unless you know something I don't about the manner in which they were
installed.

I'd recommend getting the bare bones Postfix configuration working first,
and then modifying the configs to get new features working one by one.

--
Greg