From: Advo on

Greg Hackney wrote:
> Advo wrote:
>

> > do you think it may be a better idea to remove postfix, spamassassin,
> > amavisd and start again with a fresh install? If so, can i actually
> > remove all the stuff ive done without breaking anything else? and the
> > same with the perl modules?
>
> That's up to you. Personally I would remove and reinstall Postfix,
> especially if you are running an older version. 2.3.3 is the latest.
>
> There's probably no reason to mess with spamassassin, amavisd, and perl,
> unless you know something I don't about the manner in which they were
> installed.
>
> I'd recommend getting the bare bones Postfix configuration working first,
> and then modifying the configs to get new features working one by one.
>
> --
> Greg

ok will remove just postfix. is there any special way it should be
removed, or reinstalled?

did you mean just get the basic system working without linking it with
spamassassin etc?

Cheers again, apreciate the help

From: Greg Hackney on
Advo wrote:

> ok will remove just postfix. is there any special way it should be
> removed, or reinstalled?

That's depends on what operating system you're running, and whether
you want to use a factory Postfix distribution package, or compile it
directly from source code.

http://www.postfix.org/packages.html
http://www.postfix.org/INSTALL.html

.... and upon how Postfix got installed onto your system in the
first place.

> did you mean just get the basic system working without linking it with
> spamassassin etc?

Yeah, the idea is build up a working configuration slowly, and not break
everything all at once, by initially including all the optional amavis,
spamassasin, etc. configs.

--
Greg
From: Advo on

Greg Hackney wrote:
> Advo wrote:
>
> > ok will remove just postfix. is there any special way it should be
> > removed, or reinstalled?
>
> That's depends on what operating system you're running, and whether
> you want to use a factory Postfix distribution package, or compile it
> directly from source code.
>
> http://www.postfix.org/packages.html
> http://www.postfix.org/INSTALL.html
>
> ... and upon how Postfix got installed onto your system in the
> first place.
>

> > did you mean just get the basic system working without linking it with
> > spamassassin etc?
>
> Yeah, the idea is build up a working configuration slowly, and not break
> everything all at once, by initially including all the optional amavis,
> spamassasin, etc. configs.
>

> --
> Greg

i've decided now to remove everything (postfix, spamassassin, amavis)
and start again from a standard factory install, and then i can install
and configure using a tutorial and go from there. Any ideas of the best
way to make sure all those 3 things are completely removed, so i can
begin a fresh start?