From: coltrane on
I am just learning javascript and I downloaded a js file from the jsan site.
Throughout the code there are lines that start with "=". What do these
lines mean. Also it seems that descriptive text is added without comment
delimiters. Can this be done?

this is taken from the file:

=head1 DESCRIPTION

This library provides tools to take a filepath and pull the directory
name and
filename out of it. This is much like the perl module 'File::Basename'
or the unix
shell tools of 'basename' and 'dirname'.

This type of tool can be useful if you need to process full paths on the
server in
request but want to display only filenames to the user.

=head2 Constructor

var file = new File.Basename(path, platform);

Create a new C<File.Basename> object.

=over

=item * path

File path to process

=item * platform I<optional>

A 'File.Basename' platform constant, this tells the object how to
process the filepath
it was given. If this is not passed the object will try to guess based
upon the
user agent string. If this is not available then it will default to UNIX.

For the platform constants see the section L<Constants> below.

=back

=head2 Class Properties

=head3 VERSION

File.Basename.VERSION

Current library version

=head2 Methods

=head3 basename()

file.basename();

From: coltrane on
never mind, I just realized that all of these lines that start with an
"=" are all withing a comment block.
From: Stefan Weiss on
On 02/07/10 20:58, coltrane wrote:
> never mind, I just realized that all of these lines that start with an
> "=" are all withing a comment block.

This type of documentation is known as POD (Plain Old Documentation).
It's usually used to document Perl programs. I haven't seen it used in
connection with JavaScript before, but if there's a suitable converter,
why not.

Here's a high level overview of the format, in case you're interested:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plain_Old_Documentation

--
stefan

Pages: 1