From: Joe Richards [MVP] on
As for the relative insecurity, it entirely depends on the purpose of
adding the computer to the group and what access(es) it grants. The
issue comes in when you grant something that you want the computer to be
able to see but not the users and the users have physical access or any
type of access rights that allow launching a process in localsystem or
networkservice (or localservice if securing something local). Because at
that point, the person can gain access to a process running in one of
those contexts and will be running as the computer so will be able to
see the information that was supposed to be locked off. In general this
applies to users who are admins or power users but if someone ever got
access to control the settings for a service or the ability to modify
the info for a service then it is possible to escalate to the proper
security context. Also obviously, anyone with physical access can do it
if they want.

Securing things like GPOs has limited use when doing this. Overall, I am
not a huge fan of group filtering, I have seen it go pretty bad on 3
different occasions. One of those occasions happened to me when I
applied the GPO team's updates to the production domain and the ACL got
wiped in the process (the poorly written script blew out midstream)
thereby clearing the Group requirement which protected the GPO and
thousands of workstations and servers around the world locked down to
kiosk mode.

But anyway, say you set up a computer policy that all it does is set the
password on the admin account. You feel it is safe because you locked it
down so only the computers have access. There are two attack vectors:
The first is to impersonate a computer, that is easily accomplished if
power user or admin or you have physical access. The second is to set up
a network sniffer and just pull the batch file off the wire or the GPO
off the wire as it gets brought down to the PC. I used that once as a
stepping stone when doing a security check for a company several years
ago and within an hour had escalated myself all the way up to EA and
sent an email from the Chief of Security's mail account. The email
recommended that the consultant brought in to do a security check was
amazing and should get double his stated rate because he was so helpful. :)

I thought about walking through what I did to compromise them but I
think it would do more harm than good. It generally isn't good to
explain in detail how someone can walk in off the street and compromise
a corporate network. Security is just far too lax in most companies,
even those that think or partially try to be secure including some very
large major companies. Most folks will often think they are secure
because they think, no one would ever do that, the consequences are too
great if they get caught (say like tailing someone through a secured
outside door to a building) but honestly, not everyone has the same
value systems when looking at doing things and there are people who
would not even think twice about stuff that most people would be far too
scared to do because they think, someone MUST be watching. The scary
fact is, someone usually isn't watching or is watching so poorly it is
worthless. Secured doors are worthless unless they physically only allow
one person to pass at a time or there is a security guard standing right
there, anything else is insecure and can be breached. Once inside... how
well does your network stand up? What rights do people have by default
on workstations? In 90%+ of the companies... Admin. That can be used
right there to cause a heap of trouble for most places. The larger the
company, the more likely someone could walk into the building and get to
a logged in working PC with very little to no issue or chance of being
caught.

joe

Author of O'Reilly Active Directory Third Edition
www.joeware.net

---O'Reilly Active Directory Third Edition now available---

http://www.joeware.net/win/ad3e.htm

From: Herb Martin on
"Joe Richards [MVP]" <humorexpress(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> As for the relative insecurity, it entirely depends on the purpose of
> adding the computer to the group and what access(es) it grants. The issue
> comes in when you grant something that you want the computer to be able to
> see but not the users and the users have physical access or any

Ok, it doesn't really affect the cases where I would typical
want to use or recommend it.

Read access to shares that offer software intended to be
deployed based on computer account.

Such doesn't require perfect security, just practical control.

--
Herb Martin, MCSE, MVP
Accelerated MCSE

> [...]
> could walk into the building and get to a logged in working PC with very
> little to no issue or chance of being caught.
>
> joe
>
> --
> Joe Richards Microsoft MVP Windows Server Directory Services
> Author of O'Reilly Active Directory Third Edition
> www.joeware.net
>

> ---O'Reilly Active Directory Third Edition now available---
>
> http://www.joeware.net/win/ad3e.htm
>

> Herb Martin wrote:
>> Joe Richards [MVP] wrote:
>>> Well it avoids the rejoin ASSUMING that the user who is doing the reset
>>> can force the client to do a password change. If the client isn't
>>> talking or the person involved has insufficient access at the client or
>>> the client is offline (which I guess is the same as not talking) the
>>> reset will only update the following attributes in AD (a password

>>> unicodePwd
>>> ntPwdHistory
>>> pwdLastSet
>>> supplementalCredentials

From: Sasi on
Thank both of you guys for your explanations.
some questions:

1.you know that you can rejoin a machine to the domain WITHOUT resetting its
account(provided that you have the permission to write some property on
computer object);so whats the point in reseting its account?isn't it useless?

2.about that refresh interval(30 days for win2k+ and 7 days for win2k-),how
can I change this default intervals?is it through a policy or AD should be
modified (ADSI edit and so on)?

From: Joe Richards [MVP] on
1. Not if the person doing the rejoin doesn't have permissions in AD.
This is a common config in large environments where very few people have
rights.

2.
http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsServer/en/library/0825816c-94e5-4a7f-be42-cbad6be4be501033.mspx?mfr=true

Also in GPOs, Security Settings | Local Policies | Security Options |
Domain Member:Maximum machine account password age.

From: Sasi on
is this option also availabe in windows 2000? I don't have such option in my
windows 2000 server security options.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: repadmin issues