From: Ole Hansen on
horus wrote:
> ok, I have an idea that something is happening here that might include RFC
> ignorance?
> http://www.rfc-ref.org/RFC-TEXTS/2821/kw-crlf.html
>
> perhaps someone could help with analysis?
>
> thanks
>
> -h
>
> "horus" <horus(a)sonic.net> wrote in message
>> Running /var/spool/mqueue/o540Onnr029313 (sequence 1 of 1)
>> <blah(a)smtp.blah.org>... Connecting to smtp.blah.org. via esmtp...
>> 220 smtp.blah.org ESMTP Postfix
>> 250-smtp.blah.org
>> 250-PIPELINING
>> 250-SIZE 20971520
>> 250-VRFY
>> 250-ETRN
>> 250-STARTTLS
>> 250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN
>> 250-AUTH=LOGIN PLAIN
>> 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
>> 250-8BITMIME
>> 250 DSN
>> 250 2.1.0 Ok
>> 250 2.1.5 Ok
>> 354 End data with <CR><LF>.<CR><LF>
>> timeout writing message to smtp.blah.org.: Resource temporarily
>> unavailable
>> <blah(a)smtp.blah.org>... Connecting to smtp2.blah.org. via esmtp...
>> <blah(a)smtp.blah.org>... Connecting to smtp3.blah.org. via esmtp...
>> <blah(a)smtp.blah.org>... Deferred: Connection timed out with
>> smtp3.blah.org.
>> Closing connection to smtp.blah.org.
>>
>> thanks ahead of time
>>
>> dmc

It looks like sendmail cannot connect to smtp.blah.org. The destination
may be down, or there is a networking problem. To test connectivity, do

telnet smtp.blah.org 25

from the machine where sendmail is running. If you can't connect, my
first guess would be that outgoing port 25 is blocked. If you run this
at home or at a university, your ISP probably blocks this port.

HTH,
Ole
From: Ole Hansen on
Ole Hansen wrote:
> horus wrote:
>> ok, I have an idea that something is happening here that might include RFC
>> ignorance?
>> http://www.rfc-ref.org/RFC-TEXTS/2821/kw-crlf.html
>>
>> perhaps someone could help with analysis?
>>
>> thanks
>>
>> -h
>>
>> "horus" <horus(a)sonic.net> wrote in message
>>> Running /var/spool/mqueue/o540Onnr029313 (sequence 1 of 1)
>>> <blah(a)smtp.blah.org>... Connecting to smtp.blah.org. via esmtp...
>>> 220 smtp.blah.org ESMTP Postfix
>>> 250-smtp.blah.org
>>> 250-PIPELINING
>>> 250-SIZE 20971520
>>> 250-VRFY
>>> 250-ETRN
>>> 250-STARTTLS
>>> 250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN
>>> 250-AUTH=LOGIN PLAIN
>>> 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
>>> 250-8BITMIME
>>> 250 DSN
>>> 250 2.1.0 Ok
>>> 250 2.1.5 Ok
>>> 354 End data with <CR><LF>.<CR><LF>
>>> timeout writing message to smtp.blah.org.: Resource temporarily
>>> unavailable
>>> <blah(a)smtp.blah.org>... Connecting to smtp2.blah.org. via esmtp...
>>> <blah(a)smtp.blah.org>... Connecting to smtp3.blah.org. via esmtp...
>>> <blah(a)smtp.blah.org>... Deferred: Connection timed out with
>>> smtp3.blah.org.
>>> Closing connection to smtp.blah.org.
>>>
>>> thanks ahead of time
>>>
>>> dmc
>>>

> It looks like sendmail cannot connect to smtp.blah.org. The destination
> may be down, or there is a networking problem. To test connectivity, do
>
> telnet smtp.blah.org 25
>
> from the machine where sendmail is running. If you can't connect, my
> first guess would be that outgoing port 25 is blocked. If you run this
> at home or at a university, your ISP probably blocks this port.
>
> HTH,
> Ole

I just realized I didn't read the post completely. The connection only
times out at the DATA stage. Forget what I said before.

I just tried connecting to the destination shown in your logfile, and
things seemed to work (message accepted), except the destination server
seemed very slow. This may be intentional, or the box is overloaded, out
of disk space, etc. Either way, such timeouts usually indicate, if not a
network problem, that the destination server is down or otherwise
experiencing difficulties.

Since you are trying to send a fairly large message: have you tried
sending shorter emails there?

HTH,
Ole