From: z1 on

I often hear about blokes sitting about in public places with their
laptops checking out adhoc wireless networks.

[I'm not very up on this sort of behaviour hence the questions below]

So is it legal to hook into one of them adhoc computers?
Does the adhoc computer become aware of a free-rider?
Could going adhoc be used as a trap to net in war-drivers?
How do you lock down your machine enough to prevent getting taken over
yourself in such environments?

Thanks
From: Rod Speed on
z1 wrote:

> I often hear about blokes sitting about in public places with their laptops checking out adhoc wireless networks.

> [I'm not very up on this sort of behaviour hence the questions below]

> So is it legal to hook into one of them adhoc computers?

Nope, not unless they allow access by anyone.

> Does the adhoc computer become aware of a free-rider?

Yes, it isnt that hard to see when it happens.

> Could going adhoc be used as a trap to net in war-drivers?

Yes, and is.

> How do you lock down your machine enough to prevent getting taken over yourself in such environments?

Use WPA2 with an adequate random key.

From: John Tserkezis on
z1 wrote:

As a mild variation of what Rod wrote:

> laptops checking out adhoc wireless networks.
> [I'm not very up on this sort of behaviour hence the questions below]
>
> So is it legal to hook into one of them adhoc computers?

Unless it was set up specifically for the purpose, then no.
Well, not legally anyway.

Even if it is "open" (say joe bloggs down the road never protected his
wifi access point), using one of those comes under theft of services or
something or other. Unless it was specifically set up for that free
public purpose, than legally, it should be considered closed.

Though, there are even limitations on those allowances. Google "Alex
Eric Smith", "Brian Tanner", and I'm guessing there are more examples,
when you are presented with legal full free access wifi, and still get
charged or gear confiscated.

I suppose the moral of the story is, if you're getting something for
nothing, then don't get caught. Legal or otherwise.

Actually, after the discussions in aus.cars I've been having, make that
"regardless of what you're doing, anything, don't get caught".

> Does the adhoc computer become aware of a free-rider?

It's certainly very easy to monitor and log. Though if joe bloggs is
too ignorant to close it, he's probably too ignorant to keep an eye on
it too.
Same goes for shop owners, but the freebie ones usually enable a
rudimentary password that's marked within the shop, which stops the
drive-byers who aren't going make a purchase.

> Could going adhoc be used as a trap to net in war-drivers?

Can, and is.

But hey, let's put things into perspective. If you're using a
completely unsecured wifi network that you should not be (legally or
otherwise), and move secure or otherwise identifiable information though
it, you pretty much deserve what you get...

> How do you lock down your machine enough to prevent getting taken over
> yourself in such environments?

Best common protection available on today's gear.
Security Type: WPA2-PSK (also known as WPA2 Personal).
Encryption Type: AES

Use a good long keyphrase (64 character appears to be the usual limit)
consisting of alphanumerics, upper and lower case, no words that can be
found in a dictionary.
Since this is not something you're going to enter manually every time,
(usually once to set up and that's it), you can afford something
seriously random.

If you're in an environment where you can legally access free, open,
unsecured and unencrypted wifi, would be a good idea to use an encrypted
VPN or tunnel if you have the facility to do that, or only email
encrypted attachments/messages.
If you're dealing with destinations who don't have a VPN server/tunnel
set up, or people with you have not already discussed a shared keyphrase
and email en/decrypt system, then you're stuck to discussing Aunt
Marge's super-secret pumpkin scone recipe.
From: keithr on
John Tserkezis wrote:

> Best common protection available on today's gear.
> Security Type: WPA2-PSK (also known as WPA2 Personal).
> Encryption Type: AES
>
> Use a good long keyphrase (64 character appears to be the usual limit)
> consisting of alphanumerics, upper and lower case, no words that can be
> found in a dictionary.
> Since this is not something you're going to enter manually every time,
> (usually once to set up and that's it), you can afford something
> seriously random.

Go to this site to get a guaranteed unique 64 hex digit/63 character
password

https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm

I keep mine on a USB memory stick in a safe place then just do a copy
and paste when adding a new machine to the network.
From: John Tserkezis on
keithr wrote:

>> Use a good long keyphrase (64 character appears to be the usual limit)
>> consisting of alphanumerics, upper and lower case, no words that can be
>> found in a dictionary.
>> Since this is not something you're going to enter manually every time,
>> (usually once to set up and that's it), you can afford something
>> seriously random.

> Go to this site to get a guaranteed unique 64 hex digit/63 character
> password

> https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm

Excellent suggestion. There's also a bunch of executable password
generators available (elsewhere, just google) for when you're stuck
without an internet connection and need a secure key there and then, and
are too lazy to "mash" the keyboard...

> I keep mine on a USB memory stick in a safe place then just do a copy
> and paste when adding a new machine to the network.

It would be worthy to use something like an "electronic wallet" where
you store a bunch of keys under one master password you can remember.
Or even a portable encryption program.
This way, your highly secure keys are not available in text for all to
see if your USB stick is stolen or lost.