From: Grinder on
On 4/21/2010 7:42 PM, ~hp-hdx~ wrote:
> Hey, thanks for the tips, that must
> be where it is, under the keyboard.

Be careful in getting to it. On many laptops it involves removing the
bezel between the monitor hinges and the top of the keyboard. Sometimes
its just secured by plastic tabs that you can easily break while
"forcing" the bezel off, and sometimes there are some screws that have
to be removed.

The page that contains the picture I referenced discusses how to take
out the keyboard on an HP laptop, but I can't say if it matches your
situation. It looks similar, as far as I can tell. (XH535 is listed in
a big block of "relevant models" at the bottom, but that might just be a
google trap.)

http://www.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~motl/hp-keyboard/index-feb07-classical.html
From: ~hp-hdx~ on
Thanks again for taking the time to help me. Your were right on. In the
meantime I emailed hp support. The first email fm them was off the mark, I
replied saying so, and this morning they sent me another one explaining
exactly how to proceed. Imagine that.
Here's what they sent:
Removing and Reinstalling the Hard Disk Drive
Removing the hard disk drive is not a simple task since, to improve
stability, the drive is located in the middle of the computer. If you do
need to remove it, HP recommends that you back up your data and allow a
qualified service person to do it. If you decide to remove the drive
yourself, follow these instructions carefully.
If you decide to remove the hard disk drive
1. Shut down the computer, unplug the AC adapter, and remove the battery.
2. Close the display, and from the rear of the computer remove the two
Phillips screws from the back of the plastic hinge covers.
3. Lean the display backward as far as possible, so that it is out of the
way.
CAUTION: do not touch metal surfaces inside the computer until they have
cooled off, especially if the computer has just been running.
4. Carefully pry up the plastic cover above the keyboard at the hinges,
using a flathead
Screwdriver, and remove it.
Removing and Reinstalling the Hard Disk Drive.
5. Unscrew the four Phillips screws at the top of the keyboard. (They remain
attached to the keyboard.)

Handle the hard drive by its edges only, since static electricity can
permanently damage computer parts. Before touching the interior of the
computer, discharge static electricity by touching the metal shielding
around the connectors on the rear of the computer.

Slide the keyboard backward to detach it, then tilt it forward and turn it
upside down.
(Keep the keyboard cable attached.)
Unscrew the four Phillips-head screws from the sides of the hard disk drive
case
..
(They remain attached to the case.)
Tilt up the rear of the hard disk drive case and, pulling gently by the
strap, detach it from the connector and lift it out of the computer.