From: moe s. on
can someone recommend a solid state drive preferably 256gb or larger that works with
the sata plugs on a new optiplex ? I mean that it plugs in to the existing sata/power
harness and matches the pins for cables already in system.

they all come with sata 80gb drives by default (samsung, etc) (optiplex models bought
last couple months)

From: RnR on
On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 15:51:21 +0200, "moe s." <moesa(a)nodoutun.de>
wrote:

>can someone recommend a solid state drive preferably 256gb or larger that works with
>the sata plugs on a new optiplex ? I mean that it plugs in to the existing sata/power
>harness and matches the pins for cables already in system.
>
>they all come with sata 80gb drives by default (samsung, etc) (optiplex models bought
>last couple months)

FWIW, I think I just read that the SS drives have a limited read /
write capacity. Maybe someone else can verify this. I want to try
to find that source again and reread it even tho I have no intention
of going to a SS drive any time soon.
From: William R. Walsh on
Hi!

> FWIW, I think I just read that the SS drives have a limited read /
> write capacity.

They do. All flash memory based devices (CF cards, camera storage
media, USB memory keys, SSDs, etc) have a limited write cycle
lifetime. I've seen a million cycles quoted for modern flash memory
ICs.

How much of a problem is this? Until the popularity of SSDs rose so
dramatically in recent times, I heard a lot of people saying that
using one as a boot device with a general purpose operating system
would result in the flash memory being worn out very quickly, perhaps
as soon as a matter of months or days. The key offender was always
said to be the paging (swap) file. So that's what people say.

Well...I set up an IBM NetVista 8364 thin client to boot into Windows
98SE from a PNY 1GB CompactFlash card. This system was originally
intended to boot a Linux distribution over the network but it also has
a unique "Workstation on Demand" mode that makes it into a nearly full
fledged personal computer. It has a CF slot on the motherboard.

http://greyghost.mooo.com/nv8364w98/

It's been running since approximately January 2007. The system has a
256MB RAM ceiling, so at least in theory, Windows will hit the paging
file regularly with multiple applications open. It's still running
along just fine.

Flash memory controllers have some tactics to combat the unequal wear
that results from some areas being written to much more than others.
The flash memory controller should engage in "wear leveling", where
oft-written files are moved around the flash memory area so that one
spot doesn't take all the writing activity.

People now say that flash memory should last long enough to outlive
its practicality and usefulness. Go figure. It's still too soon to
know. A hard drive can last twenty or more years.

Flash memory is still outrageously expensive compared to good old
magnetic hard disk storage. And hard drives really aren't *that*
unreliable. I have an Asus netbook with an SSD, and its performance is
not apparently better than a good old hard disk in day to day
computing. But if you need the shock resistance (an SSD can be exposed
to truly amazing shock levels since it has no moving parts), silence,
or have some other reason why you can't use a hard drive, an SSD is
the only way to go.

William
From: RnR on
On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 08:30:57 -0800 (PST), "William R. Walsh"
<wm_walsh(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hi!
>
>> FWIW, I think I just read that the SS drives have a limited read /
>> write capacity.
>
>They do. All flash memory based devices (CF cards, camera storage
>media, USB memory keys, SSDs, etc) have a limited write cycle
>lifetime. I've seen a million cycles quoted for modern flash memory
>ICs.
>
>How much of a problem is this? Until the popularity of SSDs rose so
>dramatically in recent times, I heard a lot of people saying that
>using one as a boot device with a general purpose operating system
>would result in the flash memory being worn out very quickly, perhaps
>as soon as a matter of months or days. The key offender was always
>said to be the paging (swap) file. So that's what people say.
>
>Well...I set up an IBM NetVista 8364 thin client to boot into Windows
>98SE from a PNY 1GB CompactFlash card. This system was originally
>intended to boot a Linux distribution over the network but it also has
>a unique "Workstation on Demand" mode that makes it into a nearly full
>fledged personal computer. It has a CF slot on the motherboard.
>
>http://greyghost.mooo.com/nv8364w98/
>
>It's been running since approximately January 2007. The system has a
>256MB RAM ceiling, so at least in theory, Windows will hit the paging
>file regularly with multiple applications open. It's still running
>along just fine.
>
>Flash memory controllers have some tactics to combat the unequal wear
>that results from some areas being written to much more than others.
>The flash memory controller should engage in "wear leveling", where
>oft-written files are moved around the flash memory area so that one
>spot doesn't take all the writing activity.
>
>People now say that flash memory should last long enough to outlive
>its practicality and usefulness. Go figure. It's still too soon to
>know. A hard drive can last twenty or more years.
>
>Flash memory is still outrageously expensive compared to good old
>magnetic hard disk storage. And hard drives really aren't *that*
>unreliable. I have an Asus netbook with an SSD, and its performance is
>not apparently better than a good old hard disk in day to day
>computing. But if you need the shock resistance (an SSD can be exposed
>to truly amazing shock levels since it has no moving parts), silence,
>or have some other reason why you can't use a hard drive, an SSD is
>the only way to go.
>
>William

Thanks William. You definitely educate me every time <grin>.
You should be a teacher (and I say this with " respect " only in
mind).