From: TheSQLGuru on
First thing I would check for is something (i.e. firewall) blocking port
1434 to/from the machines that don't get the info and the servers. IIRC
that is the tcp port used for 'hey, are you a sql server and if so how are
you doing' stuff.

--
Kevin G. Boles
Indicium Resources, Inc.

From: bringmewater on
it's port 1433 and since i can connect I know that port is not blocked
From: bringmewater on
is it just a bug and doesn't work right with sql 2000 dbs ?
From: Tibor Karaszi on
Hmm, is that really determined from the communication with SQL Server Browser (via 1434)? I thought
that this information is drawn from some other protocol (something closer to basic windows Service
API's)? I believe for instance that once upon a time this was only available though Named Pipes (not
IP Sockets) - probably in the 6.x days. If one has some more network knowledge than I do, it would
be interesting to trace or similar port numbers etc when one starts SSMS/EM.

For instance, I can stop (and disable) the SQL Server browser service and my SSMS still tell me that
my default instance is started where my two named instances are stopped.

--
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
http://www.karaszi.com/sqlserver/default.asp

From: Beth on
Hey, I'm seeing the same thing, except the server is 2005 on someone else's
box.
It's annoying because it takes about 20 seconds to connect and I thought the
whole idea behind registering servers is that it doesn't have to go through
the re-authentication again.

Is this normal?
Is there something I can do to get my white circle green like the SQLExpress
one I don't use?

Thanks for any info.