From: gavino on
On Dec 30, 5:25 am, Tamas K Papp <tkp...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 11:04:23 -0800, Pillsy wrote:
> > On Dec 29, 1:41 pm, Tamas K Papp <tkp...(a)gmail.com> wrote: [...]
> >> As Pascal remarked above, you can write a Lisp VM on an Intel PC and
> >> have your very own Lisp Machine, with many (if not all) of the claimed
> >> benefits. But no one is doing this, so the benefits must be quite
> >> small.
>
> > It just means benefits don't outweigh not having a decent web browser.
>
> :-)
>
> > But they could be amazingly huge and still not make up for that lack.
>
> If some tool has "amazingly huge" benefits, people usually end up
> creating it.  Eg many people consider having a Common Lisp
> implementation to be very beneficial, so they are willing to devote a
> substantial amount of effort (free implementations) or money
> (commercial ones) in order to have one.
>
> Yet when I asked about the benefits of Lisp Machines, all I got were
> either (1) vague arguments about how nice it would be to have all the
> "environment" in Lisp, (2) patronizing responses on how I can't
> imagine how great it is unless I have used one, without any details.
>
> (1): I still can't see why it would matter to have the OS etc in Lisp.
> This may be because I don't want to hack the OS: my ideal state of
> existence is when I can ignore the OS entirely and get on with my
> work.  I don't want to hack device drivers and filesystems, I prefer
> not to know that such things exist.  Yes, sometimes I have to deal
> with them, but that's usually a PITA and I hate doing it.  Fortunately
> for me, there are people who do like doing these things.  They seem to
> prefer C, and I am fine with that.  I imagine that if I tried telling
> them how they would be better off using Lisp, I would get a
> well-deserved laugh.
>
> (2): The tone that some people use when they talk about Lisp Machines
> reminds me of other groups which enjoy reminiscencing about solutions
> that they hold in high regard but disappeared for various (mostly
> economic) reasons.  I still hear people talking about NeXTstep or
> Amiga as if nothing that has happened ever since can compare.  Maybe.
> I think that even if a particular product line disappears, worthwhile
> solutions resurface in other forms.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Tamas

No reason to get riled up. It is possible a lisp pc would be fun to
use.
I am amazed that web is using something like javascript to deliver
dynamic content, instead of a read languae client/interpreter.
Seems web has grown organically with herd just doing it that way cuz
others do in an incrememnatal style.
I really cherish instances where people do something different and it
works nicely.
eg BSD, linux, paul graham's viaweb, plan 9 from bell labs, lisp,
haskell, forth, smalltalk, erlang, etcetc
even things such as the rotary engine I think it is great when an
alternative design does well.
I could even throw in the accidenatal discovery of philly cheese steak
sandwiches or chiecken in hot sauce commonly called "buffalo wings".
Innovation is awesome.

From: gavino on
On Dec 30, 6:38 am, "Frode V. Fjeld" <fr...(a)netfonds.no> wrote:
> [...]
> > imagine how great it is unless I have used one, without any details.
>
> Lisp would be a tool to make a tool (the OS) that supports tools
> (applications) that help you do what you want to do. I'm guessing this
> rather long chain of tools explains something of why it's hard to give a
> list of concrete benefits. Also, there's nothing that is inherently only
> possible to do in lisp and not other languages/systems. The question is
> rather in what direction(s) the languages/systems tends to lead in terms
> of the end-user experience. That is, "given this basic system, what is
> easy/natural to build on top of it?"
>
> There has been a huge collective effort over the last few decades to
> build good "desktop" systems based on the predominant C/unix technology
> (that includes linux, windows, mac, etc.), and the observation is I
> believe that there's still significant aspects of the old lisp-machines
> that were better, even if the number of man-years put into those lisp
> systems were minuscule in comparison.
>
> That's not to say that it's impossible for some hypothetical future
> "ubluntu linux 18.0" to provide everything the lisp machines did and
> more. But I do think (also) this suggests that there are serious
> drawbacks to the way we are making operating systems today, and that
> these have negative effects on the end-user experience.
>
> > (1): I still can't see why it would matter to have the OS etc in Lisp.
>
> The point would be to provide a better overall end-user experience. I
> don't think "Lisp" as such is the full answer to that call, but it might
> be part of the answer.
>
> > This may be because I don't want to hack the OS: my ideal state of
> > existence is when I can ignore the OS entirely and get on with my
> > work.  I don't want to hack device drivers and filesystems, I prefer
> > not to know that such things exist.  Yes, sometimes I have to deal
> > with them, but that's usually a PITA and I hate doing it.  Fortunately
> > for me, there are people who do like doing these things.  They seem to
> > prefer C, and I am fine with that.  I imagine that if I tried telling
> > them how they would be better off using Lisp, I would get a
> > well-deserved laugh.
>
> To simply reimplement the OS kernels we use today in lisp would indeed
> be laughable.
>
> > (2): The tone that some people use when they talk about Lisp Machines
> > reminds me of other groups which enjoy reminiscencing about solutions
> > that they hold in high regard but disappeared for various (mostly
> > economic) reasons.  I still hear people talking about NeXTstep or
> > Amiga as if nothing that has happened ever since can compare.  Maybe.
> > I think that even if a particular product line disappears, worthwhile
> > solutions resurface in other forms.
>
> Arguably much of the last few years of development in software has been
> a resurfacing of solutions/ideas from the lisp machines, such as GC and
> language/VM-based security/safety. That's not to say there aren't more

How was the interface on lisp machines? Any gui? graphics? video?
From: gavino on
On Dec 30, 1:51 pm, Alan Mackenzie <a...(a)muc.de> wrote:
> Tamas K Papp <tkp...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 21:34:08 +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> >> You can compile that language with the lisp machine as the target
> >> architecture.  The lisp machine is just as general, it just emphasises
> >> languages dominated by heavily nested function calls, rather than
> >> those made up of assignment statements.  The architectures that came
> >> to dominate (Intel, Motorola 68000, some RISCs) did so because
> >> "C-like" languages had far more programmers that "lisp-like"
> >> languages.
> > Maybe, but I am still not convinced that this was the main reason.
> > First, the number of programmers is itself endogenous: programmers
> > gravitate to languages which they find useful.
>
> Kind of, perhaps.  Programmers use whatever language their boss says, or
> what the free software project they've just joined uses.  I doubt many
> consciously chose their language, though some do.
>
> > Sure, there are some other factors, but in the days of Lisp machines,
> > these worked in favor of Lisp much more than today (it was much more
> > widespread, had a significant presence at universities, etc).
> > Second, Intel-like architectures could have had other advantages which
> > have nothing to do with the number of programmers.  Maybe they were
> > simpler, cheaper to produce, easier to optimize, etc.
>
> The Intel 80x86 architecture came to predominate for exactly one reason,
> namely that it was chosen by IBM for their PC back in the early 1980s.
> Microsoft's software predominates for exactly the same reason.  Nobody
> would claim that the 80x86 was particularly good; other 16-bit machines
> of that era used the Motorola 68000 (the Atari ST, Amiga, the Apple Mac).
> Since that time, better RISC chips have appeared, yet the 30 yo Intel
> architecture is as entrenched as ever.  If RISC chips couldn't displace
> the 80x86, what chance did a Lisp Machine have?
>
> > I don't think we can explain how these architectures came to dominate
> > without taking these factors into account, and when we do this, I would
> > be surprised if the "Lisp had less programmers" story still retains a
> > lot of explanatory power.
>
> You're right here, I think.  However, let's put it this way: If the
> number of competent Lisp programmers in the 1980s had been higher by a
> factor of 100, I think we would still have lisp machines today.
>
> > Tamas
>
> --
> Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).

I am sad when I heard that MIT had given up using scheme and switched
to python for programming courses.

Are there any universities today using common lisp as a teaching
language?

From: gavino on
On Dec 30, 2:33 pm, Tamas K Papp <tkp...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> > displace the 80x86, what chance did a Lisp Machine have?
>
> Again, I agree.  Chip design and manufacturing exhibit significant
> economies of scale, so if a technology is entrenched for whatever
> reason, it will have a good chance of prevailing.  If Company A
> sells 10^n times the CPUs Company B sells, then A can pour more money
> into the process, design new chips faster, and take advantage of
> Moore's law.  Then you can buy the latest A chip using today's
> technology for the price of the latest B chip which lags a year
> behind, even though it would have beaten last year's A chip.  The
> critical value of n is an interesting empirical question.
>
> But I am wondering if this pattern will hold if Moore's law breaks
> down.  If you can't squeeze more bang into a single CPU, and
> multithreaded CPUs don't deliver the promised miracles either, then
> architectural choices for CPUs may matter again.  I am not saying that
> Lisp Machines will be resurrected, but x86 may not be the only
> architecture around if it can be dominated---maybe in a niche.
>
> The above scenario would be more likely to happen if free software
> were more prevalent.  If MS controls software, then they get to decide
> whether your new CPU architecture lives or dies.  But if they don't,
> you may get away with rewriting a fraction of existing software (eg a
> compatibility layer, etc).
>
> >> I don't think we can explain how these architectures came to dominate
> >> without taking these factors into account, and when we do this, I would
> >> be surprised if the "Lisp had less programmers" story still retains a
> >> lot of explanatory power.
>
> > You're right here, I think.  However, let's put it this way: If the
> > number of competent Lisp programmers in the 1980s had been higher by a
> > factor of 100, I think we would still have lisp machines today.
>
> A related thought: anecdotal evidence suggests that Lisp makes certain
> programmers more productive for certain tasks.  Current desktop
> environments have a lot of man-hours put into them, but if you are
> more productive, you can make a working desktop environment with a lot
> less effort.  OTOH I think that this is precisely the kind of software
> that has a lot of nitty-gritty details that will take a lot of time,
> regardless of the language.
>
> If I were a super-rich and I wanted to finance the development of a
> Lisp machine, I would first aim for a successful "Lisp environment"
> (not a Lisp machine, but a Lisp-based OS on stock hardware, not unlike
> Movitz when/if it grows up).  I would make it super-easy to contribute
> simple utilities, and provide a compatibility layer (that runs current
> desktop software, doesn't matter if it is 1/10 the speed).  I would
> only experiment with Lisp-optimized hardware after I have a
> functioning ecosystem on x86.  So having a Lisp Machine per se would
> be of secondary importance to me.  But of course this is all a pipe

would it be possible to write something like X windows in lisp?
From: gavino on
On Dec 30, 6:32 pm, Kaz Kylheku <kkylh...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2009-12-30, Mahesh Subramaniya <mahesh...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > So, why do we need a lisp PC basically?
>
> What we need to do is to precisely define ``lisp PC''.
>
> I don't know what a ``lisp PC'' is.
>
> If I don't know what it is, then how can I tell whether or not I need one?
>
> It may be safe to assume that if I don't need any kind of PC at the moment, and
> if a ``lisp PC'' is a kind of PC, then I don't need a ``lisp PC''.
>
> > I'm a novice user in lisp. Trying to understand few things in the world
> > of Lisp.
>
> A machine programmed Lisp from the ground up has the potential to be more
> efficient in its use of resources, as well as more reliable and secure, than a
> machine with a conventional kernel programmed in a higher level assembly
> language.
>
> An all-Lisp system can be devised in such a way that there is no need for
> separate privileged and unprivileged modes of execution, and no
> virtual memory.
>
> That translates to performance.

woa, and what about the gui? and how could it be more secure? sound/
video?
no virtual memory how? because lisp garbage collection handles it? or?
interesting post!
why also more reliable?