From: gavino on
why is there not a lisp pc for under $300?

with power of lisp could be quite grand..
From: joswig on
On 29 Dez., 07:58, gavino <gavcom...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> why is there not a lisp pc for under $300?
>
> with power of lisp could be quite grand..

\|||/
(o o)
,~~~ooO~~(_)~~~~~~~~~,
| Please |
| don't feed the |
| TROLL! |
'~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ooO~~~'
|__|__|
|| ||
ooO Ooo
From: Alan Mackenzie on
gavino <gavcomedy(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> why is there not a lisp pc for under $300?

There once were lisp machines, in the 1980s. Look up "lisp machine" in
wikipedia for some interesting history.

> with power of lisp could be quite grand..

Indeed it could. But the demand for such a powerful machine is
insufficient to pay enough for its development.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).

From: Tamas K Papp on
On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 09:03:00 +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote:

> gavino <gavcomedy(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> why is there not a lisp pc for under $300?
>
> There once were lisp machines, in the 1980s. Look up "lisp machine" in
> wikipedia for some interesting history.

I have a Dell laptop. It runs Lisp. That makes it a Lisp PC.

> Indeed it could. But the demand for such a powerful machine is
> insufficient to pay enough for its development.

I wish the garden center sold soil specifically for yellow tulips. I
just can't believe that "Miracle-Gro for Flowers" is good enough for
my purposes. I am sure I could do better with an expensive
special-purpose formula instead of the mass-produced general one. And
they could also carry special soil for pink azaleas, red geraniums,
etc.

Tamas
From: Victor on
On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 12:31:14 +0200, Tamas K Papp <tkpapp(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 09:03:00 +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
>
>> gavino <gavcomedy(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>> why is there not a lisp pc for under $300?
>>
>> There once were lisp machines, in the 1980s. Look up "lisp machine" in
>> wikipedia for some interesting history.
>
> I have a Dell laptop. It runs Lisp. That makes it a Lisp PC.

Tamas, AFAIU Lisp Machines were not only merely able to run Lisp
compiler/interpreter but substantial parts of the operating system
and related system software was written in Lisp, creating
an environment for convenient development in Lisp.

And that's if we put specific details in their hardware design
to improve Lisp interpreter performance.

Modern personal computers are able to run Lisp code, but PCs
are not truly "Lisp Machines" as far as I see.

Victor