From: Peter Chant on
A poor shutdown has resulted in wicd not running. Any ideas?

dbus and hal appear to be running.

bash-4.1# /etc/rc.d/rc.wicd restart
Stopping wicd daemon...
Starting wicd daemon: /usr/sbin/wicd &

bash-4.1# bash-4.1# ps -ax | grep 'wicd'
Warning: bad ps syntax, perhaps a bogus '-'? See
http://procps.sf.net/faq.html
2194 pts/2 S+ 0:00 grep wicd
bash-4.1#

bash-4.1$ wicd-cli
Error: Could not connect to the daemon. Please make sure it
is running.
bash-4.1$

I've reinstalled dbus, hal, dbus-python and wicd to no avail.
Any thoughts on what to try next?

Pete

From: Grant on
On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 23:52:49 +0100, Peter Chant <REMpeteOVE(a)petezilla.co.uk> wrote:

>A poor shutdown has resulted in wicd not running. Any ideas?
>
>dbus and hal appear to be running.
>
>bash-4.1# /etc/rc.d/rc.wicd restart
>Stopping wicd daemon...
>Starting wicd daemon: /usr/sbin/wicd &
>
>bash-4.1# bash-4.1# ps -ax | grep 'wicd'
>Warning: bad ps syntax, perhaps a bogus '-'? See
>http://procps.sf.net/faq.html
> 2194 pts/2 S+ 0:00 grep wicd
>bash-4.1#
>
>bash-4.1$ wicd-cli
>Error: Could not connect to the daemon. Please make sure it
>is running.
>bash-4.1$
>
>I've reinstalled dbus, hal, dbus-python and wicd to no avail.
>Any thoughts on what to try next?

ls -lrt in the /etc tree to see most recently changed files?

Also check for stale files under /var/{run,lock} and friends.

Or, installpkg --reinstall \
/path/to/slackware*_$version/slackware*/*/t*z [1]

for the grossly overdone fix :(

[1] slackware* being slackware or slackware64

Grant.
From: Barnabyh on
On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 23:52:49 +0100
Peter Chant <REMpeteOVE(a)petezilla.co.uk> wrote:

>A poor shutdown has resulted in wicd not running. Any ideas?
>
>dbus and hal appear to be running.
>
>bash-4.1# /etc/rc.d/rc.wicd restart
>Stopping wicd daemon...
>Starting wicd daemon: /usr/sbin/wicd &
>
>bash-4.1# bash-4.1# ps -ax | grep 'wicd'
>Warning: bad ps syntax, perhaps a bogus '-'? See
>http://procps.sf.net/faq.html
> 2194 pts/2 S+ 0:00 grep wicd
>bash-4.1#
>
>bash-4.1$ wicd-cli
>Error: Could not connect to the daemon. Please make sure it
>is running.
>bash-4.1$
>
>I've reinstalled dbus, hal, dbus-python and wicd to no avail.
>Any thoughts on what to try next?
>
>Pete

Barnabyh replies:

Normally a reinstall of Wicd resolved the 'cannot connect to dbus'
error for me.
Your problem seems a bit different though, sorry.

Barnabyh

--
Barnaby.Hoffmann
Reg. Linux User #398054

From: Barnabyh on
On Tue, 3 Aug 2010 00:39:06 +0100
Barnabyh <abuse(a)spamtrap.org> wrote:

>On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 23:52:49 +0100
>Peter Chant <REMpeteOVE(a)petezilla.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>A poor shutdown has resulted in wicd not running. Any ideas?
>>
>>dbus and hal appear to be running.
>>
>>bash-4.1# /etc/rc.d/rc.wicd restart
>>Stopping wicd daemon...
>>Starting wicd daemon: /usr/sbin/wicd &
>>
>>bash-4.1# bash-4.1# ps -ax | grep 'wicd'
>>Warning: bad ps syntax, perhaps a bogus '-'? See
>>http://procps.sf.net/faq.html
>> 2194 pts/2 S+ 0:00 grep wicd
>>bash-4.1#
>>
>>bash-4.1$ wicd-cli
>>Error: Could not connect to the daemon. Please make sure it
>>is running.
>>bash-4.1$
>>
>>I've reinstalled dbus, hal, dbus-python and wicd to no avail.
>>Any thoughts on what to try next?
>>
>>Pete
>>

>Barnabyh replies:
>
>Normally a reinstall of Wicd resolved the 'cannot connect to dbus'
>error for me.

Barnabyh replies:

Sorry, been a while but Grant jogged my memory. It was actually a lock
file or two in /var that needed deleting, afterwards all was fine.
Might be the same for you.

--
Barnaby.Hoffmann
Reg. Linux User #398054

From: Eef Hartman on
Peter Chant <REMpeteOVE(a)petezilla.co.uk> wrote:
> bash-4.1# bash-4.1# ps -ax | grep 'wicd'
> Warning: bad ps syntax, perhaps a bogus '-'?

Just a remark about this: it is ps ax (no -) for the
"old syntax" options (like a) or ps -ef for the newer Posix
ones. See also "man ps".

That's why you get the warning.
** Eef Hartman, Delft University of Technology, dept. SSC/ICT **
** e-mail: E.J.M.Hartman(a)tudelft.nl - phone: +31-15-27 82525 **