From: mc on
When win 2000 updates the icon disappears.Is there a command to make the
icon re-appear to install the updates?
It seems whenever win 2000 downloads updates, the little blue icon
disappears until I re-boot. After a while it will then re-appear saying
you have updates ready to install. I'm using the option, download
updates but let me choose when to install them.
mc

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
With any of the Automatic Updates options selected, you will only see AU's
yellow "Updates are ready to be installed" icon when all of the approved
updates have downloaded or installed.

If some but not all of the approved updates have downloaded, you may
encounter a "Click to install important updates and then shut down" button
when you go to turn off your computer. Doing so will install the
already-downloaded updates (see Event Log | System section).

. Microsoft Update Product Team Blog: Update Notifications and
Install-at-Shutdown Behavior:
http://blogs.technet.com/mu/archive/2009/06/26/update-notifications-and-install-at-shutdown.aspx

Absent any serious numerical Errors in your windowsupdate.log (cf.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093), you may be seeing delays (i.e., in
downloading or installing all approved updates) caused by excessive demand
on the servers ("Update is not allowed to download due to regulation").
See...

. Updates are not downloaded or the "Automatic Updates" icon does not
display the status of downloads when you enable the Automatic Updates
service

In most cases, you can install all of the desired updates manually via
Windows/Microsoft Update website (WinXP & Win2K) or by running Windows
Update manually (Vista & Win7) instead: Understand that by doing so, you're
pushing all other Automatic Updates users further back in the queue...which
may explain, at least in part, why Automatic Updates may not have brought
them in for you yet.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)