From: Luis Lavena on
On Mar 9, 9:28 am, Charles Roper <reac...(a)charlesroper.co.uk> wrote:
> On 09/03/2010 07:30, Luis Lavena wrote:
>
> > Are you using autospec? If so, is not win32console, as I mentioned to
> > you before.
>
> The RSpec people seem to think it might be a win32console problem:
>
> http://j.mp/a4XYT3

No, is not win32console, I've emailed rspec team before on this:

http://rubyforge.org/pipermail/rspec-devel/2010-January/005341.html

No answer. I've described there what could be the root of the issue.

Does a previous version of win32console result in the same issue?

If so, then is not win32console.

--
Luis Lavena
From: Charles Roper on
On 09/03/2010 08:45, Luis Lavena wrote:
> On Mar 9, 9:28 am, Charles Roper<reac...(a)charlesroper.co.uk> wrote:
>> On 09/03/2010 07:30, Luis Lavena wrote:
>>
>>> Are you using autospec? If so, is not win32console, as I mentioned to
>>> you before.
>>
>> The RSpec people seem to think it might be a win32console problem:
>>
>> http://j.mp/a4XYT3
>>

> No, is not win32console, I've emailed rspec team before on this:
>
> http://rubyforge.org/pipermail/rspec-devel/2010-January/005341.html
>
> No answer. I've described there what could be the root of the issue.
>
> Does a previous version of win32console result in the same issue?
>
> If so, then is not win32console.

Thanks for the confirmation, Luis. I've updated the ticket:

http://j.mp/a4XYT3

Charles

From: Roger Pack on

> No, is not win32console, I've emailed rspec team before on this:
>
> http://rubyforge.org/pipermail/rspec-devel/2010-January/005341.html

Thanks for the link.
Appears it is a bug with spec since autospec doesn't show colors but
normal "spec" does.

Thanks for your work on this.
-rp

From: Gordon Thiesfeld on
On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 7:49 AM, Roger Pack <rogerpack2005(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>> No, is not win32console, I've emailed rspec team before on this:
>>
>> http://rubyforge.org/pipermail/rspec-devel/2010-January/005341.html
>
> Thanks for the link.
> Appears it is a bug with spec since autospec doesn't show colors but
> normal "spec" does.
>
> Thanks for your work on this.
> -rp

If all of this code still works the way I remember it, this is
actually easy to fix. Last time I checked, autospec relies on
autotest, so you should be able to just require win32console in your
~/.autotest file. autospec runs the rspec framework as a subprocess.
It parses the results, then spits them out on the screen. On posix
systems, the escape codes work, because posix systems are designed to
handle them. In Windows, the escape codes just get dumped to stdout,
so you have to make sure the current process knows how to handle them.

I hope that makes sense.

From: Luis Lavena on
On Mar 10, 5:34 am, Gordon Thiesfeld <gthiesf...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 7:49 AM, Roger Pack <rogerpack2...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> No, is not win32console, I've emailed rspec team before on this:
>
> >>http://rubyforge.org/pipermail/rspec-devel/2010-January/005341.html
>
> > Thanks for the link.
> > Appears it is a bug with spec since autospec doesn't show colors but
> > normal "spec" does.
>
> > Thanks for your work on this.
> > -rp
> > --
>
> If all of this code still works the way I remember it, this is
> actually easy to fix. Last time I checked, autospec relies on
> autotest, so you should be able to just require win32console in your
> ~/.autotest file.   autospec runs the rspec framework as a subprocess.
>  It parses the results, then spits them out on the screen.  On posix
> systems, the escape codes work, because posix systems are designed to
> handle them.  In Windows, the escape codes just get dumped to stdout,
> so you have to make sure the current process knows how to handle them.
>
> I hope that makes sense.

It does, however, as I mentioned in the RSpec-dev mailing list post,
trying to recreate it just end prematurely, doesn't complete.

Ignoring for a second that ZenTest/autospec changes the first two
lines of the autotest rubygem stub, check the following example:

#ruby
ruby 1.8.6 (2010-02-04 patchlevel 398) [i386-mingw32]

#gem list:

win32console (1.3.0.beta2, 1.3.0.beta1)
rspec (1.3.0)
ZenTest (4.2.1)

# ~/.autotest
STDOUT.puts "OUT: THIS IS ~/.autotest file"
STDERR.puts "ERR: THIS IS ~/.autotest file"
require 'win32console'
puts "$stdout.redirected? #{$stdout.redirected?}"
puts "$stderr.redirected? #{$stderr.redirected?}"

# rake-compiler/.autotest
STDOUT.puts "OUT: THIS IS rake-compiler/.autotest file"
STDERR.puts "ERR: THIS IS rake-compiler/.autotest file"
require 'win32console'
puts "$stdout.redirected? #{$stdout.redirected?}"
puts "$stderr.redirected? #{$stderr.redirected?}"

Running autospec in my folder, output this:

C:\Users\Luis\Projects\oss\rake-compiler>autospec
(Not running features. To run features in autotest, set
AUTOFEATURE=true.)
OUT: THIS IS ~/.autotest file
ERR: THIS IS ~/.autotest file
$stdout.redirected? false
$stderr.redirected? false
OUT: THIS IS rake-compiler/.autotest file
ERR: THIS IS rake-compiler/.autotest file
$stdout.redirected? false
$stderr.redirected? false
C:\Users\Luis\Tools\Ruby\ruby-1.8.6-p398-i386-mingw32\bin\ruby C:/
Users/Luis/.gem/ruby/x86-mingw32/1.8/gems/rspec-1.3.0/bin/spec --
autospec C:/Users/Luis/Projects/oss/rake-compiler/spec/lib/rake/
javaextensiontask_spec.rb C:/Users/Luis/Projects/oss/rake-compiler/
spec/lib/rake/extensiontask_spec.rb -O spec/spec.opts

And from there beautiful colors (well, not beautiful, but seems it
works).

The following version also works:
ruby 1.8.7 (2010-01-10 patchlevel 249) [i386-mingw32]

But NOT 1.9.1:

C:\Users\Luis\Projects\oss\rake-compiler>autospec
OUT: THIS IS ~/.autotest file
ERR: THIS IS ~/.autotest file
$stdout.redirected? false
$stderr.redirected? false
OUT: THIS IS rake-compiler/.autotest file
ERR: THIS IS rake-compiler/.autotest file
$stdout.redirected? false
$stderr.redirected? false
C:\Users\Luis\Tools\Ruby\ruby-1.9.1-p378-i386-mingw32\bin\ruby C:/
Users/Luis/.gem/ruby/x86-mingw32/1.9.1/gems/rspec-1.3.0/bin/spec --
autospec C:/Users/Luis/Projects/oss/rake-compiler/spec/lib/rake/
extensiontask_spec.rb C:/Users/Luis/Projects/oss/rake-compiler/spec/
lib/rake/javaextensiontask_spec.rb -O spec/spec.opts
Rake::ExtensionTask
#new
(basic)
WARNING: You're cross-compiling a binary extension for JRuby, but are
using
another interpreter. If your Java classpath or extension dir settings
are not
correctly detected, then either check the appropriate environment
variables or
execute the Rake compilation task using the JRuby interpreter.
(e.g. `jruby -S rake compile:java`)

====

Stops there, all without colors.

Now, running rake spec or spec -c spec display all colors too, so is
something around autospec/autotest and Ruby 1.9

====

Hope I explained better this time since seems nobody answered on RSpec-
dev maybe my english wasn't good enough.

Regards,
--
Luis Lavena