From: bbbl67 on
On Feb 6, 5:02 am, Franc Zabkar <fzab...(a)iinternode.on.net> wrote:
> Have you tried HDDScan for Windows?http://hddscan.com/
>
> ... or smartmontools (Linux/Windows):http://sourceforge.net/projects/smartmontools/files/
>
> http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/smartmontools/wiki/Download

Looks good, looks like it's another tool that can read SMART over USB
or Firewire, HD Sentinel also does that.

Yousuf Khan
From: Arno on
bbbl67 <yjkhan(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 6, 5:02?am, Franc Zabkar <fzab...(a)iinternode.on.net> wrote:
>> Have you tried HDDScan for Windows?http://hddscan.com/
>>
>> ... or smartmontools (Linux/Windows):http://sourceforge.net/projects/smartmontools/files/
>>
>> http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/smartmontools/wiki/Download

> Looks good, looks like it's another tool that can read SMART over USB
> or Firewire, HD Sentinel also does that.

> Yousuf Khan

Seems the smartmontools people are also starting to add some USB
chipset specific SMART command passthroughs. Interesting.

HDDsentinel has more, but in the end it only matters whether
your devices work. Also good to know that the standard way
(SAT) seems to gain traction, which should eventually eleminate
the problem.

Arno
--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno(a)wagner.name
----
From: Arno on
Arno <me(a)privacy.net> wrote:
> bbbl67 <yjkhan(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Feb 6, 5:02?am, Franc Zabkar <fzab...(a)iinternode.on.net> wrote:
>>> Have you tried HDDScan for Windows?http://hddscan.com/
>>>
>>> ... or smartmontools (Linux/Windows):http://sourceforge.net/projects/smartmontools/files/
>>>
>>> http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/smartmontools/wiki/Download

>> Looks good, looks like it's another tool that can read SMART over USB
>> or Firewire, HD Sentinel also does that.

>> Yousuf Khan

> Seems the smartmontools people are also starting to add some USB
> chipset specific SMART command passthroughs. Interesting.

> HDDsentinel has more, but in the end it only matters whether
> your devices work. Also good to know that the standard way
> (SAT) seems to gain traction, which should eventually eleminate
> the problem.

Nice! My WD elements externals work without parameters
with smartmontools 5.39.1. This is an older "silver"
1TB one and newer "black" 1TB one. An 1.5TB WD mybook
also works.

Arno