From: Chris Smith on
On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 3:19 PM, Eliel <slayer.r0x(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> it would problably not crashs, but will not use winbind to authenticate

"Probably" doesn't answer the question. Yes, it wouldn't use winbind
to authenticate but the winbindd daemon would still be running and
maybe that additional info (whether it crashes or not) can assist in
troubleshooting. Of course, this is assuming that the system crashes
relatively quickly - otherwise the test case is worse than the
original problem.
It doesn't crash the system, but it doesn't authenticate against
winbind, and winbind is still very broke (large quantity of log
messages, wbinfo -u don't return, etc).

--Jim

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 12:07 PM, Chris Smith <smb_77(a)chrissmith.org> wrote:
> On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 1:12 PM, Jim Kusznir <jkusznir(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> Any more suggestions?  Anyone actually using winbind successfully?
>
> What changes if you change:
>
> /etc/nsswitch.conf
> -------------
> passwd:         compat winbind
> group:          compat winbind
>
>  to:
> -------------
> passwd:         compat
> group:          compat
>
> ?
>
> Does it still crash?
>
> Chris

Oh, note for the "does not crash the system", there is one other
modification that is required to be made at the same time: I need to
remove winbind from the pam.d/* files. In order for the system to
boot successfully when winbind is badly broken/crashed, I must
simultaneously remove it from nsswitch.conf AND pam.d/*. Only doing
one or the other still results in a hung system. Removing it from
both allows the computer to be used with local accounts but does not
"fix" winbind; it remains "crashed" and spews large quantities of log
messages, some of which are included at the beginning of this thread.

Thanks!
--Jim