From: DD on
we have 20+ New server to install windows 2008 for trading purpose.

still can not decide to install server core or std full, can someone advise
what is the benefit to install core rather than std edition or to install std
edition ?
From: Dusko Savatovic on
DD,
There is:
Server Standard
Server Standard Core

Server Enterprise
Server Enterprise Core

Core is (not quite correctly called) 'Server without Graphical User
Interface (GUI)'.

There are several reasons why Core was introduced:
- *Nix purists were saying that there's no real need/use for GUI on a server
and *real* sysadmins are not shy of using text based commands.

- Less footprint exposed to attacks. Majority of hotfixes are in some way
related to GUI subsystem.

- Repelling attackers/users away from the server systems. Server system is
not a workplace and should not be used for web surfing and installing all
sorts of software that comes under attention of users while they surf the
web.

- Core servers can be controlled using GUI tools from remote computers
equipped with Remote Server Administration Tools (RSAT).

- Performance. For example a domain controller, file server, DNS server use
less resources and require less memory when they run on core than when they
run on full (GUI) server edition.

There's probably more.
The choice is yours.