From: fred2010 on

Cain, Marc wrote:

> On Jun 15, 2010, at 1:42 AM, Ciernik Tomas wrote:
>
> See: http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Windows7 for the correct settings.

That page is correct, but for me, when using Windows 7, the pages in
http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/... are wrong.
I spent so long on this, it's not funny, but if you run,

smbldap-add --help

you'll see the difference between lower case w and upper case W:

-w is a Windows Workstation (otherwise, Posix stuff only)
-W is a Windows Workstation, with Samba atributes (otherwise, Posix stuff
only)

With the capital W several more ldap values are set than with the lower case
w.
Windows XP doesn't care, but I was only, finally successful with Windows 7
once I switched to the capital W.

Specifically, in my /etc/samba/smb.conf file,

add machine script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-useradd -W "%u"

Search engines being case-insensitive, this is likely to be very hard to
figure out.

Maybe there's more to the story--I can't believe this isn't more widely
posted, so maybe
my installation is somehow special--but it worked for me, and it's easy
enough to try, so
give it a try.
--Fred

PS: Don't mean to spam this list, but am sending this yet again, after
joining the mailing list, waiting, sending again....