From: Jim on
Can any one tell me if "WINDOWS\system32\Util.exe" is a legitimate file or do
I need to delete it?
From: Big_Al on
Jim said this on 4/1/2010 3:50 PM:
> Can any one tell me if "WINDOWS\system32\Util.exe" is a legitimate file or do
> I need to delete it?

I don't have one on my system, but that's not a good test. I have a
Dell, and other vendors might put a utility in there for their own need.
Google seems to show it as a threat. Rename it and see what happens?
Run MalwareBytes and see if it likes it?

From: Daave on
Jim wrote:
> Can any one tell me if "WINDOWS\system32\Util.exe" is a legitimate
> file or do I need to delete it?

Upload it to:

http://www.virustotal.com/

and

http://virusscan.jotti.org/en

From: nass on

"Jim" wrote:

> Can any one tell me if "WINDOWS\system32\Util.exe" is a legitimate file or do
> I need to delete it?

Hi Jim,
This seems to me not a legitimate process and it can be drat setup util.exe
which is a viral malware that can compromise your machine.

But you failed to mention what make you concern about it and what your
operating system and what you done so far to check if it is legit or not! I.e
did you checked your system with an up2date security software.

Try to scan for malware and viruses and let us know your findings:

http://www.superantispyware.com/superantispywarefreevspro.html
Malwarebytes© Corporation - Anti-Malware

BlackLight

http://www.f-secure.com/en_EMEA/security/security-lab/tools-and-services/blacklight/
BlackLight
ftp://ftp.f-secure.com/anti-virus/tools/fsbl.exe

Easy Clean
http://www.f-secure.com/en_EMEA/security/security-center/easy-clean/

Run a scan from here on-line:
http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?langid=ie&venid=sym
Download Avast Cleaner (offline scanner) from here:
Comodo BOClean : Anti-Malware Version 4.27
http://www.comodo.com/boclean/boclean.html
HTH
nass
---