From: mihai on
Hi i need to know what i need to do if my pc is broken and i need change
my montherboard or all my pc with new one..

I can use my Xp again with my new pc or montherboard with same cd
or i need new cd key and how do i proceed tnx

From: Tim Slattery on
mihai <mihai(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Hi i need to know what i need to do if my pc is broken and i need change
>my montherboard or all my pc with new one..
>
> I can use my Xp again with my new pc or montherboard with same cd
>or i need new cd key and how do i proceed tnx

It depends. If you're using an OEM version of XP, then it dies with
the PC. OEM versions are serviced by the OEM, not Microsoft, and most
of them will not let you use your OS on a new motherboard (unless you
buy it from them, and even then...)

If it's a retail version of XP, then you can move it from one computer
to another without a problem.

--
Tim Slattery
Slattery_T(a)bls.gov
From: C on
mihai wrote:
> Hi i need to know what i need to do if my pc is broken and i need change
> my montherboard or all my pc with new one..
>
> I can use my Xp again with my new pc or montherboard with same cd
> or i need new cd key and how do i proceed tnx

What kind of OEM?

From: David B. on
Make/model of current PC?

From: Doum on
=?Utf-8?B?bWloYWk=?= <mihai(a)discussions.microsoft.com> �crivait

> Hi i need to know what i need to do if my pc is broken and i need
> change
> my montherboard or all my pc with new one..
>
> I can use my Xp again with my new pc or montherboard with
> same cd
> or i need new cd key and how do i proceed tnx

OEM use only on original computer.

If you replace the whole thing, NO, you can't (by contract) but a generic
OEM cd would probably install and activate anyway.

Only the motherboard? yes, if you have a generic OEM cd; if your CD is
branded (Dell, Acer, Gateway, HP, etc.), you need an identical motherboard
because probably the installation is BIOS-locked.

If you need to buy a new computer, and you buy a branded PC, it will
probably come with Windows7 pre-installed so you will have a new license
anyway.