From: Plato on
Jeff wrote:

> Because of some intermittent problems I am having with an older laptop (XP
> Home SP-2) connecting to the internet through a wireless home network, the
> router's tech support suggested I try winsockXPfix. I read about it (

You received incorrect advice. winsockxpfix and other associated/related
files that do the same repair, are meant to fix the tcp/ip problem after
spyware removal. In other words, it's NOT meant to fix "intermittent
problems". But rather, no connection at all after spyware removal. In
which case, it repairs the damamge some spyware has done to the system.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

From: Jeff on
Thank you.

Jeff

"Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
> Jeff wrote:
>>
>> Because of some intermittent problems I am having with an older laptop
>> (XP
>> Home SP-2) connecting to the internet through a wireless home network,
>> the
>> router's tech support suggested I try winsockXPfix. I read about it (
>
> You received incorrect advice. winsockxpfix and other associated/related
> files that do the same repair, are meant to fix the tcp/ip problem after
> spyware removal. In other words, it's NOT meant to fix "intermittent
> problems". But rather, no connection at all after spyware removal. In
> which case, it repairs the damamge some spyware has done to the system.
>

>> http://www.cit.cornell.edu/computer/security/spyware/repair.html )
>> and learned that it is considered a "non-standard" repair technique and
>> that
>> I should backup critical files before using it.
>>
>> I was wondering what kind of winsock "customizations" they are talking
>> about
>> that I might lose? Isn't winsock just a standard thing or do I
>> misunderstand
>> what it is. How safe is winsockXPfix to use?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Jeff
>
> --
> http://www.bootdisk.com/