From: TheBicyclingGuitarist on
On May 8, 7:27 pm, TheBicyclingGuitarist
<Ch...(a)TheBicyclingGuitarist.net> wrote:
> On May 8, 1:54 pm, dorayme <dora...(a)optusnet.com.au> wrote:
>

> > In article
> > <27e7b2e9-c6a3-40e7-922d-c0117bd59...(a)a16g2000prg.googlegroups.co
> > m>,

> > with
>
> > .wrap div {...}
>
> > instead of

> > with
>
> > .thumb {...}
>
> > --
> > dorayme
>
> Oh no. I am not getting something here. I made a wrapper div
> (class="wrap") containing all the divs formerly classed as thumbleft.
> Then I renamed the thumbleft class in the style2.css file. How do I
> make the rules for the wrapper div apply to the divs contained within?
> Sorry if it's a stupid question. I never learned how to do that yet.http://www.TheBicyclingGuitarist.net/studies/index2.htmandhttp://www.TheBicyclingGuitarist.net/css/style2.css- Hide quoted text -

I *think* I fixed *part* of the problem by making the declaration
div.wrap div { style rules in here; }
What about the p inside the div.wrap div? Do I declare its style by
saying div.wrap.div p { style rules in here; }

and what about that conditional statement in the head of the index2
document? How do I label that? div.wrap div?
From: dorayme on
In article
<2ada45c3-1bfc-4aa8-be8c-4d8bf6b4c47d(a)g39g2000pri.googlegroups.co
m>,
TheBicyclingGuitarist <Chris(a)TheBicyclingGuitarist.net> wrote:

> On May 8, 1:54 pm, dorayme <dora...(a)optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> > In article
> > <27e7b2e9-c6a3-40e7-922d-c0117bd59...(a)a16g2000prg.googlegroups.co
> > m>,

> > with
> >
> > .wrap div {...}
> >
> > instead of

> > with
> >
> > .thumb {...}
> >
> > --
> > dorayme
>
> Oh no. I am not getting something here. I made a wrapper div
> (class="wrap") containing all the divs formerly classed as thumbleft.
> Then I renamed the thumbleft class in the style2.css file. How do I
> make the rules for the wrapper div apply to the divs contained within?
> Sorry if it's a stupid question. I never learned how to do that yet.
> http://www.TheBicyclingGuitarist.net/studies/index2.htm and
> http://www.TheBicyclingGuitarist.net/css/style2.css

If you have a bunch of elements and you want to make them all the
same style, there are different ways to do this. One way is to
class each element separately and put the style rule that targets
this class. That is what you were doing. In this case it is divs
of the class "thumb".

Another other way is to use what is called *descendant
selecting*. You order that all div descendants of this container
should have some one style.

Let's assume you have a container for your divs.

and styled as

..thumb {color: #c00; background: #ccc; float:left; width: 4em;
height: 4em;}

This is equivalent in output to

when styled as

div div {color: #c00; background: #ccc; float:left; width: 4em;
height: 4em;}

This latter styling is saying to style anything that is a div
within a div. The only divs in divs are the thumb boxes. The
thumb divs are not in each other so no danger of confusion.

If the thumb divs had further divs inside them, you would not use
this simple technique alone. If you did have further divs in all
the child divs of the containing div then you *could* stop
trouble of unwanted styles by following the descendant selector
style above with another:

div div div {color: #000; background: #fff; float:none; etc}

Or you could have used in the first place what is called a child
selector

with

div>div {color: #c00; background: #ccc; float:left; width: 4em;
height: 4em;}

You can class or id the container if you like or if it is
necessary to distinguish the divs in it from the divs in some
other container. If you do this, you might say

along with

..thumbwrapper div {color: #c00; background: #ccc; float:left;
width: 4em; height: 4em;}

or

..thumbwrapper>div {color: #c00; background: #ccc; float:left;
width: 4em; height: 4em;}

I tend to go for the simplest thing that will work. Sometimes
this is a good policy. Sometimes in hindsight, there is better.

--
dorayme
From: Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn on
BootNic wrote:

> Mainstream support for ie6/7 & xp will soon be over. 65 days and
> counting.

I wonder where your information comes from. *Iff there are no further
Service Packs* for the corresponding Windows versions, Mainstream Support
for Internet Explorer 6 and 7 on Windows XP will be retired by 2010-07-13.
No date has been announced yet for Internet Explorer 7 on Windows Vista
Service Pack 1. In fact, Internet Explorer 7 also runs on Windows Vista
Service Pack 2, for which Mainstream Support will be retired by 2011-04-30
*iff there are no further Service Packs*.

<http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifeselectindex#I>
<http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifeadditionalproducts#Internet_Explorer>

You should also be aware that because of bugs in newer versions it may be
necessary, and it is possible by default to put IE 8 and perhaps also its
potential successor into a Compatibility Mode in which rendering will work
like IE 6 or IE 7. For example, in my experience it has been necessary to
force IE 8 into IE 7 Compatibility Mode (using a `meta' element) if you want
to have the `z-index' property to work properly there.

So your expectations are pretty unrealistic even if we would not consider
users who are continuing to use a version of IE long after the end of its
product lifecycle because they do not have a choice (as it is the case for
IE 5.01).

PointedEars
will want to steal it.)
First  |  Prev  |