From: ElsaElsa on
I have set up a mail merge to merge letters into individual documents so it
would produce a long document with the merged data in it. That document will
then be split into individual documents that are named by a field in the
merged document. I would like to know how to set printing preferences for
individual documents that have been created from the merged document. Am I
correct in assuming that they will inherit the properties from the merged
documents?

also, after I have created the individual documents from the mail merge, the
formatting seems to go awol a bit . The way the script that I use works, is
that it takes the first line in the document, uses it as a document name and
then deletes the field. This shouldn't effect formatting more than by one
line. Yet, it makes the table in the document a lot bigger, thus it now takes
3 pages as opposed to 2 pages. I am guessing that it has something to do with
the table properties, is there a way of keeping the size of the original
table after using a macro to create individual files?

The script that I'm using is this:
Sub SplitMergeLetter()
' splitter Macro modified to save individual letters with

' information from data source. The filename data must be added to

' the top of the merge letter - see web article.

Selection.EndKey Unit:=wdStory
Letters = Selection.Information(wdActiveEndSectionNumber)
Selection.HomeKey Unit:=wdStory
Counter = 1
While Counter < Letters
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
With Selection

.HomeKey Unit:=wdStory
.EndKey Unit:=wdLine, Extend:=wdExtend
.MoveLeft Unit:=wdCharacter, Count:=1, Extend:=wdExtend

End With
sName = Selection
Docname = "D:\My Documents\Test\Merge\" & sName & ".doc"

ActiveDocument.Sections.First.Range.Cut
Documents.Add

'Documents are based on the Normal template

'To use an alternative template follow the link.
With Selection
.Paste
.HomeKey Unit:=wdStory
.MoveDown Unit:=wdLine, Count:=1, Extend:=wdExtend
End With
ActiveDocument.SaveAs FileName:=Docname, _
FileFormat:=wdFormatDocument
ActiveWindow.Close
Counter = Counter + 1
Application.ScreenUpdating = True
Wend
End Sub

on a completely unrelated note, I have been trying to find ways to create a
global template that would save the script above in a shared network and was
wondering if anyone has any advice on this. I would be very very thankful for
any advice on these problems.