From: Martijn Lievaart on
On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 05:05:49 -0800, Nick Keighley wrote:

> On 10 Mar, 20:39, Jürgen Exner <jurge...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Actually C pointers are probably among the worst concepts ever invented
>> in computer science.
>
> now there's a challenge. Who are the other competitors?
>
> - FORTRAN computed goto
> - FORTRAN fixed layout
> - Algol-60 free layout
> - Algol-60 call by name
> - Pascal with
> - C declaration syntax
> - C++ template syntax
> - C++ exception specification
> - PL/I

- All of COBOL and especially COBOL74 and earlier.
- Command.com batch language (and to a lesser degree cmd.exe batch
language)
- Java's resource managing techniques (or rather, lack of).
- C++'s automagical creation of copy constructors and assignment operators

Do we have to restrict it to programming languages? Otherwise I know a
few others:

- DOS drive letters
- Unix access control
- ActiveX as used originally, download and execute from any site when
requested.
- Original Mac autorun feature
- Borland technical support

OK, maybe not computer science. Certainly not rocket science :-)

M4