From: Christoph Hellwig on
What about never removing a bdi from bdi_list? If we have the
correct checks for dirty_io and the task there's no need to
ever remove a life bdi from the list. Just add it in bdi_register
and remove it in bdi_unregister.

From: Artem Bityutskiy on
On Sun, 2010-07-18 at 02:58 -0400, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> What about never removing a bdi from bdi_list? If we have the
> correct checks for dirty_io and the task there's no need to
> ever remove a life bdi from the list. Just add it in bdi_register
> and remove it in bdi_unregister.

Good idea, thanks, indeed I do not see why we need removing it.

--
Best Regards,
Artem Bityutskiy (Артём Битюцкий)

From: Artem Bityutskiy on
On Sun, 2010-07-18 at 02:58 -0400, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> What about never removing a bdi from bdi_list? If we have the
> correct checks for dirty_io and the task there's no need to
> ever remove a life bdi from the list. Just add it in bdi_register
> and remove it in bdi_unregister.

But I think it will be less error-prone and nicer to still have this
patch, then move the killing logic from bdi threads to the forker task,
and then, as a separate patch on top of that, get rid of this removing
bdi from bdi_list part. I mean, this way the patch series will be more
logical and finer grained and easier to review.