From: Owen Lamb on
Presumably you have your web application setup in host header mode. If so,
you can use the STSADM tool to limit each site collection to only view users
from their own collection by executing the following command:

"C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server
Extensions\12\BIN\stsadm.exe" -o setproperty -pn
peoplepicker-onlysearchwithinsitecollection -pv yes -url
http://sitename.host-header-name.com

Where sitename is the website, and host-header-name.com is the host header
application name.

The only limitation, which I'm currently researching, is that you can still
find local service accounts, such as the account to run the web application
and search service.