From: Thomas Schulz on
I have been upgrading the ftp daemon on some of our older Solaris systems
and decided to use wu-ftpd because that is what Sun chose to use on
Solaris 9 and later. Everything went well on Solaris 2.5.1 & Solaris 7,
but I ran into trouble on Solaris 8. Solaris 8 tries to use a tcp6 port
and the wu-ftpd available from www.wu-ftpd.org does not support ipv6.
The error messages are:
500 Illegal PORT Command
425 Can't build data connection: Address family not supported by protocol family

The wu-ftpd faq says to change the 'tcp6' to 'tcp' in inetd.conf, but I
don't like that solution. The Sun modified wu-ftpd on Solaris 9 works
fine with a tcp6 port, so the ipv6 support for wu-ftpd must exist somewhere.
In fact, copying the in.ftpd file from a Solaris 9 system to a Solaris 8
system seems to work just fine, but I am not sure that I like that either.

Does anyone know where to get the ipv6 enabled source for wu-ftpd, or have
any other ideas? I looked around the Open Solaris web site, but could not
find anything there.
--
Tom Schulz
schulz(a)adi.com
From: Thomas Schulz on
In article <vilain-924924.11554719122006(a)comcast.dca.giganews.com>,
Michael Vilain <vilain(a)spamcop.net> wrote:
>In article <em9c4g$lu0$1(a)bluegill.adi.com>,
> schulz(a)adi.com (Thomas Schulz) wrote:
>
>> I have been upgrading the ftp daemon on some of our older Solaris systems
>> and decided to use wu-ftpd because that is what Sun chose to use on
>> Solaris 9 and later. Everything went well on Solaris 2.5.1 & Solaris 7,
>> but I ran into trouble on Solaris 8. Solaris 8 tries to use a tcp6 port
>> and the wu-ftpd available from www.wu-ftpd.org does not support ipv6.
>> The error messages are:
>> 500 Illegal PORT Command
>> 425 Can't build data connection: Address family not supported by protocol
>> family
>>
>> The wu-ftpd faq says to change the 'tcp6' to 'tcp' in inetd.conf, but I
>> don't like that solution. The Sun modified wu-ftpd on Solaris 9 works
>> fine with a tcp6 port, so the ipv6 support for wu-ftpd must exist somewhere.
>> In fact, copying the in.ftpd file from a Solaris 9 system to a Solaris 8
>> system seems to work just fine, but I am not sure that I like that either.
>>
>> Does anyone know where to get the ipv6 enabled source for wu-ftpd, or have
>> any other ideas? I looked around the Open Solaris web site, but could not
>> find anything there.
>
>Don't know if your understanding of this is accurate. AFAIK, wuftp was
>added as part of the freeware stuff in Solaris 8. I think the in.ftpd
>delivered on Solaris 8 was Sun's, not wuftpd.

I see that I was not clear on what I did. I got the source for wu-ftpd
from www.wu-ftpd.org and built it for each of the platforms. The in.ftpd
delivered on Solaris 8 is indeed Sun's.

>I recall making just this change in inetd.conf to continue using tpc v4.
>Unless you're going to an all v6 net, I don't think you don't gain
>anything by running ftp in v6 mode.

We have no plans at the current time to switch to ipv6, but I don't like
replacing an in.ftpd (Sun's) that will work with ipv6 with one (wu-ftpd)
that will not. I also do not like Sun's ftp server.

>As an aside, is wuftpd being actively developed?

The development of wu-ftpd seems to have come to complete halt in 2003.
However, Sun somehow managed to produce an ipv6 version of wu-ftpd
for Solaris 9.

--
Tom Schulz
schulz(a)adi.com
From: Thomas Schulz on
In article <vilain-E1EF7A.16082219122006(a)comcast.dca.giganews.com>,
Michael Vilain <vilain(a)spamcop.net> wrote:
>In article <em9keo$7cf$1(a)bluegill.adi.com>,
> schulz(a)adi.com (Thomas Schulz) wrote:
>
>> In article <vilain-924924.11554719122006(a)comcast.dca.giganews.com>,
>> Michael Vilain <vilain(a)spamcop.net> wrote:

>> >Don't know if your understanding of this is accurate. AFAIK, wuftp was
>> >added as part of the freeware stuff in Solaris 8. I think the in.ftpd
>> >delivered on Solaris 8 was Sun's, not wuftpd.
>>
>> I see that I was not clear on what I did. I got the source for wu-ftpd
>> from www.wu-ftpd.org and built it for each of the platforms. The in.ftpd
>> delivered on Solaris 8 is indeed Sun's.
>>
>> >I recall making just this change in inetd.conf to continue using tpc v4.
>> >Unless you're going to an all v6 net, I don't think you don't gain
>> >anything by running ftp in v6 mode.
>>
>> We have no plans at the current time to switch to ipv6, but I don't like
>> replacing an in.ftpd (Sun's) that will work with ipv6 with one (wu-ftpd)
>> that will not. I also do not like Sun's ftp server.
>>
>> >As an aside, is wuftpd being actively developed?
>>
>> The development of wu-ftpd seems to have come to complete halt in 2003.
>> However, Sun somehow managed to produce an ipv6 version of wu-ftpd
>> for Solaris 9.
>
>Since you don't plan on doing anything with IPV6, what's the big whoop
>about not enabling it in inetd.conf? It won't run setup as ipv6 anyway.
>Am I missing something here?

We have no current plans to use ipv6, but we may want to use it in the
future. I am just trying to avoid any future surprises.

>And when I ran wuftpd on 2.5.1, 2.6, and Solaris 7 boxes, I didn't
>"replace" Sun's in.ftpd. I just setup wuftpd to run instead, keeping
>renamed copies of the configuration files. Why can't you do the same,
>with wuftpd configured to run ipv4?

Well, 'replace' in that wu-ftpd runs instead of Sun's in.ftpd. I can
certainly change the setting in /etc/inetd.conf, I am just trying not
to.

>Or you could use one of the other ftpd that's still being developed:
>
>http://www.ncftpd.com/
>http://www.proftpd.org/
>http://www.pureftpd.org/project/pure-ftpd
>http://freshmeat.net/projects/vsftpd/?topic_id=89
>
>I think you're stuck with using ipv4. And again, what is this "Sun's
>version of wuftpd that runs ipv6". I don't know if there is such a
>thing accept in your imagination. I could be wrong, though. I'm sure
>some will jump right in and tell me so...

The wu-ftpd that comes with Solaris 9 works with ipv6 (or at least it
runs with 'tcp6' in /etc/inetd.conf). In fact, if I copy /usr/sbin/in.ftpd
from a Solaris 9 machine to a Solaris 8 machine I seem to get a working
wu-ftpd that works with 'tcp6' in /etc/inetd.conf. It makes me a little
nervous to run a Solaris 9 binary on a Solaris 8 system, however.

From: Oscar del Rio on
Thomas Schulz wrote:

> The wu-ftpd that comes with Solaris 9 works with ipv6 (or at least it
> runs with 'tcp6' in /etc/inetd.conf).

check the source code in opensolaris to see what changes they made.
From: Thomas Schulz on
In article <emceor$i4t$1(a)news.mie>,
Oscar del Rio <delrio(a)mie.utoronto.ca> wrote:
>Thomas Schulz wrote:
>
>> The wu-ftpd that comes with Solaris 9 works with ipv6 (or at least it
>> runs with 'tcp6' in /etc/inetd.conf).
>
>check the source code in opensolaris to see what changes they made.

I explored the opensolaris web site looking for the source to wu-ftpd,
but could not find it. I could find some information indicating that
there was a package for in.ftpd, but I could find nothing else.
Perhaps I should be asking how to find the source for in.ftpd on the
opensolaris web site.
--
Tom Schulz
schulz(a)adi.com