From: H. Peter Anvin on
Hi Luca,

I wonder if I could ask you to recreate your patchset on top of the
x86/asm branch in the -tip tree. There are some nontrivial changes to
the alternatives mechanism, plus a restructuring of the atomic headers
which both conflict with this patchset.

The -tip tree is available from:

git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tip/linux-2.6-tip.git

From: Luca Barbieri on
> I wonder if I could ask you to recreate your patchset on top of the
> x86/asm branch in the -tip tree.

Done, resent.
From: Ingo Molnar on

* Luca Barbieri <luca(a)luca-barbieri.com> wrote:

> > I wonder if I could ask you to recreate your patchset on top of the
> > x86/asm branch in the -tip tree.
>
> Done, resent.

FYI, it triggered build failures in -tip testing:

lib/atomic64_test.c: In function 'test_atomic64':
lib/atomic64_test.c:116: error: implicit declaration of function 'atomic64_dec_if_positive'

Ingo
From: Luca Barbieri on
> FYI, it triggered build failures in -tip testing:
>
> lib/atomic64_test.c: In function 'test_atomic64':
> lib/atomic64_test.c:116: error: implicit declaration of function 'atomic64_dec_if_positive'

This was on x86-64 right?

That function is implemented in the generic atomic64 implementation
and my x86-32 version, but not in the x86-64 implementation.

There is a similar problem with the 32-bt atomic_dec_if_positive, that
is implemented by ppc, mips, microblaze and avr32 but not in x86-32
and asm-generic.
Currently the 64-bit version seems unused, while the 32-bit one seems
to be only used by ppc-only drivers (IBM pSeries virtual SCSI and
PlayStation3 drivers).

I'll send a couple of patches to fix this shortly.
From: Luca Barbieri on
Sent patches, both to conditionally perform the test and implement the
functions for x86 and x86-64.