From: Cyrill Gorcunov on
On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 08:52:11PM +0400, Cyrill Gorcunov wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 09:32:35AM -0700, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> > On 07/20/2010 01:17 PM, Cyrill Gorcunov wrote:
> > >
> > > well, not true, this id is being set in setup_per_cpu_areas()
> > > note the snippet
> > >
> > > if (cpu == boot_cpu_id)
> > > switch_to_new_gdt(cpu);
> > >
> > > but cycle of assignment is done over all possible cpus so
> > > smp_processor_id will be = 0 for BP but definitely it's
> > > confusing and better to check for BP via explicit cpu == boot_cpu_id
> > > I think. Though I might be missing something.
> > >

> > I think the style (!smp_processor_id()) is already in use in other
> > places, but we should be consistent in style; if you want to introduce a
> > new style I certainly agree that (is_boot_cpu()) is pretty clear but it
> > should be introduced universally.
> >
> > -hpa

Peter, also I think such tuning must be done at merge window time only,
just to not break other's patch queues.

-- Cyrill
From: H. Peter Anvin on
On 07/21/2010 10:01 AM, Cyrill Gorcunov wrote:

> Peter, also I think such tuning must be done at merge window time only,
> just to not break other's patch queues.

Realistically it should be done right after the merge window for the
*next* merge window.

-hpa

From: Cyrill Gorcunov on
On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 10:11:56AM -0700, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> On 07/21/2010 10:01 AM, Cyrill Gorcunov wrote:
> >
> > Peter, also I think such tuning must be done at merge window time only,
> > just to not break other's patch queues.
> >

> Realistically it should be done right after the merge window for the
> *next* merge window.
>
> -hpa

ok, which means Robert should use old conventional test at the moment
instead of introducing is_boot_cpu I suppose.

-- Cyrill
From: Robert Richter on
On 21.07.10 13:17:18, Cyrill Gorcunov wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 10:11:56AM -0700, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> > On 07/21/2010 10:01 AM, Cyrill Gorcunov wrote:
> > >
> > > Peter, also I think such tuning must be done at merge window time only,
> > > just to not break other's patch queues.
> > >

> > Realistically it should be done right after the merge window for the
> > *next* merge window.
> >
> > -hpa
> >

> ok, which means Robert should use old conventional test at the moment
> instead of introducing is_boot_cpu I suppose.

Yes, I am just using:

if (!smp_processor_id())

Cyrill, if you like, I will leave it up to you to introduce the
is_boot_cpu() macro.

I still have patch 7/7 in my new posting in that removes the
boot_cpu_id. If your patch comes soon this will be obsolete as all
places will have the macro then.

Thanks,

-Robert

--
Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Operating System Research Center

From: Cyrill Gorcunov on
On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 07:24:28PM +0200, Robert Richter wrote:
> On 21.07.10 13:17:18, Cyrill Gorcunov wrote:

> > > Realistically it should be done right after the merge window for the
> > > *next* merge window.
> > >
> > > -hpa
> > >

> > ok, which means Robert should use old conventional test at the moment
> > instead of introducing is_boot_cpu I suppose.
>
> Yes, I am just using:
>
> if (!smp_processor_id())

ok, I see

> Cyrill, if you like, I will leave it up to you to introduce the
> is_boot_cpu() macro.

ok Robert, I may handle it, notes below

> I still have patch 7/7 in my new posting in that removes the
> boot_cpu_id. If your patch comes soon this will be obsolete as all
> places will have the macro then.

I guess I can make it in a hour or so (since need to check all possible
places) but it might break other's queue I fear. That is why hpa noted
such things should go after merge window.

So I don't know Robert what would be preferred. If Peter pick up your
patch for now -- I may just keep it somewhere localy to not loose the traces of
boot_cpu_id and use this patch as helper. I just fear I can forget
about this promise to introduce is_boot_cpu helper later ;)

Another option could be -- introduce it now and send to trivial@ ML
so it'll be picked up there and pushed upstream after merge window.