From: z3r0 on
I bought a notebook and came with Vista OS. I want to install
XP instead since I'm unsatisfied with Vista OS performance.

My HP came with no CD, (preinstalled OS). Is there a legal way
to switch (downgrade) to XP? In that case, how do I get the XP installation
disc?

HP don't want to provide support to do that, since they say hardwarde is
made
for vista, bla bla.

From: smlunatick on
On Mar 12, 2:23 pm, "z3r0" <re...(a)newsgro.up> wrote:
> I bought a notebook and came with Vista OS. I want to install
> XP instead since I'm unsatisfied with Vista OS performance.
>
> My HP came with no CD, (preinstalled OS). Is there a legal way
> to switch (downgrade) to XP? In that case, how do I get the XP installation
> disc?
>
> HP don't want to provide support to do that, since they say hardwarde is
> made
> for vista, bla bla.

HP might be right as they are the ones who are to provide the
required drivers. If they decide not to make drivers for XP, you
might be out of luck.

As for installing XP, you will need to purchase a XP install kit,
either "Retail" or OEM and do a complete "fresh" clean install.
From: R. McCarty on
Vista performance in my experience is hampered by Windows Search.
In some cases just disabling that service will noticeably improve Vista's
performance.

You'd be better served moving the other direction. Not down to XP,
but up to Windows 7. Most OEMs have a program that provides a
free upgrade to Windows 7 if the PC was purchased from June of 2009
until January of 2010. Based on when you purchased the notebook I'd
check and see if you vendor has a Windows 7 upgrade program.

You can downgrade Vista Professional & Ultimate to XP, but most
notebooks ship with the Home Premium SKU that doesn't qualify.

From: R. McCarty on
One additional point. If you disable Windows Search there is a very
good replacement application for search, Called "Everything". You
can get a copy at this location:
http://www.voidtools.com/ Version 1.2.1.371
*Very light system footprint and FAST.

From: HeyBub on
z3r0 wrote:
> I bought a notebook and came with Vista OS. I want to install
> XP instead since I'm unsatisfied with Vista OS performance.
>
> My HP came with no CD, (preinstalled OS). Is there a legal way
> to switch (downgrade) to XP? In that case, how do I get the XP
> installation disc?
>
> HP don't want to provide support to do that, since they say hardwarde
> is made
> for vista, bla bla.

Legal? Sure. You can buy XP.

As to whether it's possible, that's another story. If HP says the hardware
won't support XP, it probably won't. The only way to be sure is to buy a
copy of XP and give it a go.