From: RG on
I have a fixed size log file. I have setup a job using xp_sqlmaint to
backup log every five minutes. In monitoring used log space, I find that
the used space is the same as before running log backup. Shouldn't the
used log space be freed after log backups?

Thanks in advance

From: Jay on
Are you expecting the physical file size to decrease?

If so, that must be done manually.

From: RG on

"Jay" <spam(a)nospam.org> wrote in message
> Are you expecting the physical file size to decrease?
No.

I think I found the answer. It seems that log space is not freed for as
long the transaction hasn't completed. What I don't understand is how,
then, log backup could be performed on an inconsistant data.

From: Jay on
The backed up log will contain the entire transaction, without the commit.
When the commit is issued, that will go into the backup as well.

From: Jay on
> The backed up log will contain the entire transaction, without the commit.
> When the commit is issued, that will go into the backup as well.

at which point the log space will become reusable.