From: jeffl on
You have probably heard of my problems with my Event ASP8s-(intermittent
level gain in one).
I'm thinking of adding a smaller mon to cross-reference--something smaller.
I love the Events when they are working properly as I prefer to mix w/o
sub--but would also like something smaller. I would put my Events on stands
behind my desk as they are actually as much near-field as they are mid-field
and put the Dynaudios on the desk. I remember excellent reviews of the
Dynaudio. They originally sold for $1000/pr. GC has a pair/clearance over
here for $600/pr--which makes adding the warranty x-tension only $40 or $50
for replacement if you blow em (or they just give you the $ back and let you
keep em if they dont have em). The BM5As are being replaced by the MKll
which has redesigned components. One wonders if it would be worth waiting
and getting those if they are supposed to be even better--however, the GC
guy chimed in he has the original Mackie hr series and in his opinion the
new redesgined ones didn't sound better--no guarantee on a "redesign".
Thoughts on a great near-field 5" or 6" mon??? Looking to keep the cost
reasonable.
Thanx again,
Jeff Loven
http://www.dynaudioacoustics.com/Default.asp?Id=3680

From: Here In Oregon on

"jeffl" <people(a)people.com> wrote in message
> You have probably heard of my problems with my Event ASP8s-(intermittent
> level gain in one).
> I'm thinking of adding a smaller mon to cross-reference--something
> smaller. I love the Events when they are working properly as I prefer to
> mix w/o sub--but would also like something smaller. I would put my Events
> on stands behind my desk as they are actually as much near-field as they
> are mid-field and put the Dynaudios on the desk. I remember excellent
> reviews of the Dynaudio. They originally sold for $1000/pr. GC has a
> pair/clearance over here for $600/pr--which makes adding the warranty
> x-tension only $40 or $50 for replacement if you blow em (or they just
> give you the $ back and let you keep em if they dont have em). The BM5As
> are being replaced by the MKll which has redesigned components. One
> wonders if it would be worth waiting and getting those if they are
> supposed to be even better--however, the GC guy chimed in he has the
> original Mackie hr series and in his opinion the new redesgined ones
> didn't sound better--no guarantee on a "redesign".
> Thoughts on a great near-field 5" or 6" mon??? Looking to keep the cost
> reasonable.
> Thanx again,
> Jeff Loven
> http://www.dynaudioacoustics.com/Default.asp?Id=3680

I have heard really good things about Dynaudio from some top shelf
engineers. I wish I could be more specific but if I were buying monitors
today I would be looking into them.

From: polymod on

"jeffl" <people(a)people.com> wrote in message
> You have probably heard of my problems with my Event ASP8s-(intermittent
> level gain in one).
> I'm thinking of adding a smaller mon to cross-reference--something
smaller.
> I love the Events when they are working properly as I prefer to mix w/o
> sub--but would also like something smaller. I would put my Events on
stands
> behind my desk as they are actually as much near-field as they are
mid-field
> and put the Dynaudios on the desk. I remember excellent reviews of the
> Dynaudio. They originally sold for $1000/pr. GC has a pair/clearance
over
> here for $600/pr--which makes adding the warranty x-tension only $40 or
$50
> for replacement if you blow em (or they just give you the $ back and let
you
> keep em if they dont have em). The BM5As are being replaced by the MKll
> which has redesigned components. One wonders if it would be worth waiting
> and getting those if they are supposed to be even better--however, the GC
> guy chimed in he has the original Mackie hr series and in his opinion the
> new redesgined ones didn't sound better--no guarantee on a "redesign".
> Thoughts on a great near-field 5" or 6" mon??? Looking to keep the cost
> reasonable.
> Thanx again,
> Jeff Loven
> http://www.dynaudioacoustics.com/Default.asp?Id=3680

Hey Jeff.
You might want to post this at rec.audio.pro

Best,
Poly

From: Here In Oregon on

"polymod" > Hey Jeff.
> You might want to post this at rec.audio.pro
>
> Best,
> Poly

I was going to say the same thing yesterday and remember some of the
regulars were not real big on Dynaudio but they can be perfectionists over
there. Like a good convertor has to cost $10,000.00 or more. Just kidding
Scott and Mike. ;-)

From: malachi on

"jeffl" <people(a)people.com> wrote in message
> You have probably heard of my problems with my Event ASP8s-(intermittent
> level gain in one).
> I'm thinking of adding a smaller mon to cross-reference--something
> smaller. I love the Events when they are working properly as I prefer to
> mix w/o sub--but would also like something smaller. I would put my Events
> on stands behind my desk as they are actually as much near-field as they
> are mid-field and put the Dynaudios on the desk. I remember excellent
> reviews of the Dynaudio. They originally sold for $1000/pr. GC has a
> pair/clearance over here for $600/pr--which makes adding the warranty
> x-tension only $40 or $50 for replacement if you blow em (or they just
> give you the $ back and let you keep em if they dont have em). The BM5As
> are being replaced by the MKll which has redesigned components. One
> wonders if it would be worth waiting and getting those if they are
> supposed to be even better--however, the GC guy chimed in he has the
> original Mackie hr series and in his opinion the new redesgined ones
> didn't sound better--no guarantee on a "redesign".
> Thoughts on a great near-field 5" or 6" mon??? Looking to keep the cost
> reasonable.
> Thanx again,
> Jeff Loven
> http://www.dynaudioacoustics.com/Default.asp?Id=3680

I have a pair and my mixes are sounding much better since I got 'em.

They have some useful boosts and cuts on the back panel to tailor their
response somewhat.

They're pretty neutral and very very accurate.

I'm no expert, but they work for me very well.

malachi